Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We stayed a few nights at the Oak Creek Motel. Which happens to be 15 minutes from Steamboat, close to the Yampa, 5 minutes away from Stagecoach, and 15/20 minutes from the Flattop Wilderness area...

I really want to explore the flattops area, but this trip was all about family. Jeff - elkdeerbear told me about this hike and lake a year ago. My wife and kids) love the hike and fishing there. We went that fall, this spring, and this trip this fall (mid/late Sept) Every trip has had fast action fishing.. Perfect way to spend the day with family :)

Kids stoked for fishing before the hike

One of my favorite pictures of my daughter is of her running in this spot, w/ both feet off the ground. This one's nice too

The hike is just right, maybe a little over a mile, couple of big hills, meadows, woods, stream crossing . .

Ending up at a beautiful mountain lake

Michael was ready!

Kara was quick to catch

A ton of Trout were caught

and released

There were doubles caught

Kara used mostly a small Rapala, isabella used a small Kastmaster, and Panther Martin. When she started to fade on the casting, she'd strip in my fish.

I did really well with the fly rod, both on drys and whoolybuggers. It was nice to see how much I've improved w/ the long rod since spring (I still suck :()

I used the fly rod the whole day, (I may've hooked a couple spinning for Bella to reel in), and caught over 20 fish ;D

We watched this guy nab a few too

Fish On!

Anyways, we had a blast. Kara usually proof reads my reports. If she did though, she'd never let me post this pic :D

Here's a better one

Thanks again for sharing this lake with us Jeff (elkdeerbear)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Re: Oak Creek - Flattops - family Hiking & Fishing - Thanks Jeff/elkdeerbear

Love that area, great post!
The kids are tearin it up!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts

Another winner, James. You're a good dad, it would seem! (wish I had a "thumbs up" here)

Shallow lake, no?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts

Outstanding report and pics again. What camera are you using. If I even spit near mine, or a few drops of rain hit it, it's trash. Well, not that bad, but I got it wet floating Little Echo this past summer, and took 3 days in the sun to dry out. Still a little funky, with a small halo in the lens.

Dreaded Deadwings logo is gone? :D I like Woodsy owl.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts