Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've never used one. All the talk has got me interested. For trout in mid sized streams and mountain ponds- what sizes and colors? What is the best way the retrieve- reel evenly or flutter like a spoon?
And yes, now if have an official super duper thread. :biggrin1:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Jakes are better IMHO, although I fish more still water and if it's moving I like rivers not streams, you can huck the Jake's a mile and it's a bigger profile for bigger fish.. Steady or varied retrieve they don't really seem to work good jerked up off the bottom like "slabbing" a spoon, but the fast/slow cat and mouse works with them just fine... like anything mix it up and see what they want that day.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Gold 503. As a kid I caught more little rainbows on that thing than all else. Of course, I cast it more than all else too, but it worked!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Gold with red dots. Also, gold with orange dots.

I have had success on brookies up northwest and have also had success fishing them in Clear Creek... Fish em just like you do a Panther Martin... I like to allow the weight of the lure to flow naturally with the current and use a jerk, reel, jerk, reel motion in deeper pools.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
^^^very good advice^^^

On panthers I like to use black and brown on cloudy days... Not sure if Super Dupers come in those colors though... Only ever had gold variations.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
^^^very good advice^^^

On panthers I like to use black and brown on cloudy days... Not sure if Super Dupers come in those colors though... Only ever had gold variations.
The black with yellow spots and the yellow with red spots PMs are money. ;D

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ice + gold/red super duper tipped with your favorite bait + jigging = JUMBO PERCH!

Ditch the treble and add a 1" drop chain and a #8 single red hook...your welcome!

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
Rainbow has been the best for me in high lakes. Have caught many lakers from Granby on the rainbow also-

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help- the rainbow trout colors look good but that doesn't always result in the best. So Gold with a little red sounds like the thing. There are several sizes and I am thinking small for little trout streams. What size do most of you use. (on a spinner I usually use a No. 1 Vibrax, etc.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I only use 506 on these lures... Of course, I don't winter fish in streams, so smaller might be better in cold months.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts