Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've never used one. All the talk has got me interested. For trout in mid sized streams and mountain ponds- what sizes and colors? What is the best way the retrieve- reel evenly or flutter like a spoon?
And yes, now if have an official super duper thread. :biggrin1:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Jakes are better IMHO, although I fish more still water and if it's moving I like rivers not streams, you can huck the Jake's a mile and it's a bigger profile for bigger fish.. Steady or varied retrieve they don't really seem to work good jerked up off the bottom like "slabbing" a spoon, but the fast/slow cat and mouse works with them just fine... like anything mix it up and see what they want that day.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Gold with red dots. Also, gold with orange dots.

I have had success on brookies up northwest and have also had success fishing them in Clear Creek... Fish em just like you do a Panther Martin... I like to allow the weight of the lure to flow naturally with the current and use a jerk, reel, jerk, reel motion in deeper pools.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the help- the rainbow trout colors look good but that doesn't always result in the best. So Gold with a little red sounds like the thing. There are several sizes and I am thinking small for little trout streams. What size do most of you use. (on a spinner I usually use a No. 1 Vibrax, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.