Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone. Just curious. In the fall and winter, I leave the lakes and rivers for the diehard anglers (well, for the most part). During those times of the year, I tune into the bugling, dealing with broadheads, polishing and cleaning bores, steel shot and whistling wings, sporting goods sales on decoys, and plenty more steel shot and decoys.

One thing I'd love to do is have some cast and blast trips!! Looking to try for fall wipers and downing puddlers and divers at the same time (where permitted). Doves too!! I've seen guys do this at Lonetree, but the pressure of hunters on this lake during the waterfowl season is almost ridiculous. Wanted to try it out at N. Sterling and maybe Bonny sometimes. A close buddy of mine took me to the Laramie Lakes in Wyo. about a year ago and he said that cast and blast was done regularly there too.

What are your thoughts, fellow forum members?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I havent hunted since I was 14 or 15, use to love it. Just dont seem to have the time to get into it anymore. One of these days when I win the lotto and by my 300+ acres out in the mountians I'll get back into it.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ePiC said:
I havent hunted since I was 14 or 15, use to love it.  Just dont seem to have the time to get into it anymore.  One of these days when I win the lotto and by my 300+ acres out in the mountians I'll get back into it.
Well, when you do...... Call-a-brotha, man!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I enjoy hunting just as much if not more than fishing. People are much less likley in my opinion to share there hunting " honey holes" or information than fishing. So I havent found any good message boards so far. With the major increase of people who have moved to Colorado over the last decade I really dont blame them. I keep my specific areas close to the vest. I enjoy hunting everything from Blue Grouse and Cotontails to Mule Deer and Elk. One of the main reasons (besides fishing) that I decided to live on the Western Slope.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I enjoy hunting very much.  I generally hunt doves and pheasants.  Being originally from South Dakota I try to get back there in October for pheasants. 

Last year I met 2 of my brothers and 2 of my brother in laws plus a couple of nephews for hunting.  As you might guess, since i was there the weather was terrible,  cold and rainy.  Lots of pheasants seen but few knocked down.  (We are terrible shots).  My brother in law Mike (former cop and firearms instructor) accidently shot my other brother in law, Chris!  Nothing serious but a pellet in the leg is still being shot.  We sent Chris and his dad to the nearest hospital to get it checked out.  We kept hunting  When we got home, my sister, Mikes' wife had already heard about the "incident".  She was furious,  but my mom thought it was rather funny that Chris got shot.  Chris' wife, my other sister, just took it in stride.  Kinda like she was expecting something like that to happen when the group of us got together?

Yes, I enjoy hunting.

Dan

·
Registered
636 Posts
I enjoy hunting just as much as I do fishing if not more. I mostly hunt waterfowl but tried pheasant, rabbit, and deer a few times. I also used to hunt for women until I finally got myself a trophy. I think I will hunt big game more and want to get a gobbler some day too. Shooting is just as fun as reeling in.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I absolutely love to hunt. I will hunt anything. This upcoming year will include geese, ducks, quial, elk, antelope, deer, squirells, priarie dogs hopefully, maybe even some rattlesnakes and wild hogs. We don't like to pay these high prices for food. Every year we buy a cow and a pig. Have these butchered. Then theres fishing. We eat what we shoot (besides priairie dogs). The whole point of hunting and fishing in my life is to put food on the table. We dont mind paying the price of the meat, but it isn't the quality we want. Besides it si nice to walk downstairs and have a huge assortment of meats. I like hunting better than fishing because i get out of school for sometimes up to a week. :D Fishing is somethign i get to do on the weekends. Winter i have hunting big game and ice fishing. The summer si for fishing.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
hunterfishercamper said:
I absolutely love to hunt. I will hunt anything. This upcoming year will include geese, ducks, quial, elk, antelope, deer, squirells, priarie dogs hopefully, maybe even some rattlesnakes and wild hogs. We don't like to pay these high prices for food. Every year we buy a cow and a pig. Have these butchered. Then theres fishing. We eat what we shoot (besides priairie dogs). The whole point of hunting and fishing in my life is to put food on the table. We dont mind paying the price of the meat, but it isn't the quality we want. Besides it si nice to walk downstairs and have a huge assortment of meats. I like hunting better than fishing because i get out of school for sometimes up to a week.  :D Fishing is somethign i get to do on the weekends. Winter i have hunting big game and ice fishing. The summer si for fishing.
Ever tried prairie dog fishing???? ;D

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
If it fly's it dies and if it's brown it's down. Love hunting just got into Goose hunting and am now addicted so my year revolves around what season it is, plus fishing I don't know how the wife put's up with it. I guess I'm a very lucky fellow!!!!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Bird hunting is #1 in my book. Actually just received the FLY IT DIES decal for the truck.. Love both waterfowl and upland . But pheassant hunting is my passion. Keep a journal for hunting and last year me and SPOT killed 48 roosters, most of those in colorado. The sharp tail grouse season up around steamboat and craig is really outstanding and really under hunted, get some of the blues mixed in with them. If anyone needs a bird huntiing partner for this up coming year would be glad to volunteer. Seems tough to find bird hunting people. Have dog and good spots just don't shoot dog.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Parker Tom said:
Bird hunting is #1 in my book. Actually just received the FLY IT DIES decal for the truck.. Love both waterfowl and upland . But pheassant hunting is my passion. Keep a journal for hunting and last year me and SPOT killed 48 roosters, most of those in colorado. The sharp tail grouse season up around steamboat and craig is really outstanding and really under hunted, get some of the blues mixed in with them. If anyone needs a bird huntiing partner for this up coming year would be glad to volunteer. Seems tough to find bird hunting people. Have dog and good spots just don't shoot dog.
I will happily hunt with you, I have never done well for pheasants in Colorado. I guess I must be spoiled having grown in the pheasant hunting capital of the world. (South Dakota)

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
1eyeReD said:
Anyone. Just curious. In the fall and winter, I leave the lakes and rivers for the diehard anglers (well, for the most part). During those times of the year, I tune into the bugling, dealing with broadheads, polishing and cleaning bores, steel shot and whistling wings, sporting goods sales on decoys, and plenty more steel shot and decoys.

One thing I'd love to do is have some cast and blast trips!! Looking to try for fall wipers and downing puddlers and divers at the same time (where permitted). Doves too!! I've seen guys do this at Lonetree, but the pressure of hunters on this lake during the waterfowl season is almost ridiculous. Wanted to try it out at N. Sterling and maybe Bonny sometimes. A close buddy of mine took me to the Laramie Lakes in Wyo. about a year ago and he said that cast and blast was done regularly there too.

What are your thoughts, fellow forum members?
Not too many people here have gone casting and blasting. I have. We might have to hook up this fall for some fun.

Dan

·
Registered
67 Posts
1eyeRed,
Have you tried Nee Noshe and or Nee Gronde for the dove/fishing? If you hit a good year, you will limit out on both. The doves down there are MASSIVE and in MASS! The only problem is if it gets the late August chill the Doves are gone. One year, we actually had snow on the boat when we woke up one morning. The dove were there, just not in mass. Fishing was kinda slowed too from the temp drop. Other years, you could be a braggin...
Me, I hunt Elk, Deer, Pheasants, Rabbits and Grouse. Not much of a wing shooter just because I haven't found any good recipes for Duck and Geese.
I grew up in the mountains so shooting stuff that I won't eat was burned out of me long ago.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
T-Fin,

I've always wanted to try Neenoshe for doves. We usually see a sh*tload of em when fishing and talked about it, but just never got to it. A couple of cats I know go down on the Arkansas river for dove-blasting and they said John martin aint bad either for that. I'm sure Neenoshe would be a blast though for casting and blasting. Just set out some wiper bait on the bottom with a bell on the rod and then hide in a bush or something. Limiting out on doves in the southern regions of Colorado should be cake! As far as I know, my buddies finish up before noon and they go in a BIG crew. A crew of about 10 to 15 or more sometimes. I usually just do my dove hunting out by Hoyt on a piece of land where we got permission so that's why I never got to try down south. It's good there too, but no lakes or any water, for that matter, to mess with. Shoo, I'm up for a change this year.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Hunting is alright...I don't have near the passion for it that I do for fishing. I did kill a 3X3 buck that had corkscrew patterned horns a few years ago. I big game hunt only, for maybe 2-3 weeks a year. Besides that, it's all fishin' baby!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Speaking of doves, seems I have an ton more doves around my place this year then I have this time of year compared to previous years. This evening they were cooing constantly. It sounded like 20 drunks trying to sing "row, row, row boat" who could not coordinate the round!

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dan

So I guess I'm not the only one who's been thinking that. Yes, I am seeing a crapload more doves this year round this time than I did last year too. That's never a bad thing... I think... But yeah, you're not alone.

·
Registered
296 Posts
the passion is the same for me between both hunting and fishing my hunting season starts aug 15th pronghorns with a bow and in between stalks i have to hit tomahawk big browns

1 - 20 of 61 Posts