Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of you, I haven't been too active on this site lately as I have been getting out on the water! In early June some friends and I traveled to Northern Saskatchewan to chase toofy critters both in and out of the water.

Being my first time into the country I was in for a trip of a lifetime and one I won't ever forget. We flew right into camp and pulled the plane into the dock, unloaded, and it was gone to puddle jump the next crew to their destination. Our days consisted of splitting time between fishing and sitting in a bear stand. We would head out in the morning via 16' aluminum v-hull lunds (that's how we got around everywhere) and fish the first half of the day, have a shore lunch of fresh caught fish, potatoes and beans, fish a little bit more and either head directly to the bear stand or head back to camp to gear up and than head back out.

We targeted pike 99% of the time, I did catch a nice 20" laker the first day we got there but we spent very little time trolling and targeting fish other than pike- which I was completely on board for. I am now addicted to chasing those water wolves. Something about slapping a massive fly in front of a log you spotted and watch it absolutely smash your fly is something I have been dreaming about ever since I got back.

In preparation for the trip I picked up an 8 wt Scott Tidal and paired it with a Lamson Guru and could not have been happier with the set up, I also spent some time prior tying up some big 8"+ flies that ended up working very well the entire trip. I spent most of the time flailing, but when conditions were such that it didn't make sense, or when my hand and shoulder needed a break I would throw the usual fare for pike: five of diamonds, white and red metal, spooks, musky killers etc. There was a friendly $800 wager ($100 a guy) for the biggest fish so our guide, Steve, who is an absolute bad ass, had us throwing 10-12" Burbot and perch for the big guys. As he said, "if they see it, they will eat it" and man was he right. We didn't have bobbers the first day so we were slamming bottled waters and slip rigging them as bobbers, we have some pretty "jaws-esque" moments where the bottle was getting towed around by a big pike.

I could go on and on but the jist of it is: this will not be the last time I take a trip like this, if you EVER have the opportunity to do so, sell your vehicle, kidney and first born to make it happen, that place is absolute heaven, the guides were incredible and very interesting to talk to and get to know for a week. My biggest fish on the fly rod was a 36 incher caught the first day with my biggest on spin gear being 38". I was slightly disappointed (take that comment with a grain of salt) that I did not break the 40" mark on my fly rod or spin- I had many chances but I either got way to eager and strip set too soon or they came unbuttoned, or on one occasion the 12" pike I was reeling in got engulfed by a monster only to let him go before we could net both. Either way I had many shots at 40" to mid 40" fish but just couldn't seal the deal. The biggest caught was 46" on the last day and two out of our group got their bears.

Thanks for reading, I tried to keep it concise as I could go on for 7 pages.

Attachments

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Great report FC, THX for sharing!!!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
AWESOME MAN!!

Anyone wanna donate a kid or kidney to me??

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Nice work there ddb!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Thanks CF.

The pictures were too good not to blow up for the world to see... that and I bet half of you are too lazy to click on each one to see it enlarged! (kidding) :rofl:

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
NICE !!!
Ain't nothin like fishing CANADA !!!
If I could inquire, What outfitter / camp did You utilize ?

·
Registered
688 Posts
NICE !!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How were the mosquitoes?
The skeeters weren't awful, the worst was when we were sitting in the bear stand as all of the stands were directly adjacent to the water. Picked up a thermacell and was pretty dang impressed with how they worked, that coupled with every inch of my body covered up did the trick.

Those things are BIG, you could hear bones crunch when you smacked them only for them to still limp away.

We were on Reindeer Lake, PM me if you would like to know the actual outfitter- I don't have anything bad to say about them but I am not sure about the rules of advertising for a lodge on here.

Thanks for reading and the replies.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts