Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I learned a valuable lesson tonight and it is one I am not proud of.

I went fishing at Riverbend ponds and decided to try a jig since I my "fish crack" wasn't working.  Second cast, WHAM! I feel a real big hit but it then felt like a log.  So I gave it a tug or two and realize, "wow, I got one, that's a fish."  So, I reel it in after a fun fight and check it out.  A 32" catfish!

Now, I have only caught a handful of catfish before in my life.  The biggest being maybe 12 inches.  Heck, I am not even sure how to handle the things and I don't really care to eat them, so I let it go.

I get home and check out the DOW site and notice the state record is 37" and the record for the year is 31"!!!!  ARGH!  I missed owning the 2005 record.  I didn't have a camera on me and heck, I didn't even have the regs or a printout of the records.  That will never happen again since I am printing them out as soon as I am done with this post. 

The good thing is, I will never lose the memory but dangit, I am very upset with myself.

Ok, let me have it, my tail is between my legs. 

Anyone else have something similar ever happen?

I did catch a handful of bass after that but, oh well.  Live and learn.

:-\ :'(

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
records are to be broken memories are forever, ill take the memory

congrats on a huge cat

·
Registered
213 Posts
You can get to them from either Mulberry and Timberline or from Prospect and Timberline. The south parking lot is on Prospect just past Timberline going east, you'll see it on the north side of the road. The other entrance is to go south on Timberline from Mulberry and make a left towards the subdivision and then a right into the dirt parking lot. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
213 Posts
and nice catch Zias. I can't say I've ever pulled anything that big out of the ponds lol. I'm guessing you were fishing the pond next to the river to the north? That seems like the most likely pond for catfish.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Derajaman said:
I'm guessing you were fishing the pond next to the river to the north?  That seems like the most likely pond for catfish.
Exactly. The real murky one that has tons of carp and is all cloudy. The one with the bridge.

·
Registered
804 Posts
  It happens! I caught a bluegill out of Jerry Creek Reservoir this year that was at least 12 inches. State record is 11.5. Master Angler is 10". It is catch and release and I didnt have my camera. I went up the following weekend and caught other nice bluegill and did have my camera but it was nothing like the other one! Here is a pic of the second one. I caught it with a small crayfish crankbait.

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=dnyk9x

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Derajaman said:
Where abouts along there did you get him?
South-west side.  I am sure you can narrow it down quicky from there.   ;D

Hope that helps.  If you catch a record, toast my name.   ;D

I don't fish for cats so have at em...

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
What do you mean about throwing back the big fish?  Isn't that what you are supposed to do?  Throw back the big fish and keep the small ones?  Its a lot harder to catch a little fish on big hook than a big fish on a small one! :)

Yes I have done that.  A 17 inch crappie a few years ago at Chatfield.  I got the pic but did not submit for a MasterAngler award.

:'(

Dan

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Zias --- It is much better to have caught, then lost, than to have never caught at all. I saw a pretty big cat at P-xing while in my float tube. (I was actually a little nervous), but I'd still love to catch one that big!

Ouray --- Wow !!! If that one was nothing compared to the 1st one... I've come close (to the 10''s) a few places, but... Anyway nice photo too.

T

·
0 Posts
Dan said:
Yes I have done that.  A 17 inch crappie a few years ago at Chatfield.
Dan
Are you kidding me? Wow. :eek:

From Chatfield? I bet there's not many of them in there.....

Still thinkin' about them crappies...... ;)

·
Registered
472 Posts
I did the same thing this year. Caught a huge cat, battled him in and it was all I could do to take a picture, let him go and sit my butt down for a rest.

"@#$% catfish!" I mutter dusting myself off.

Minutes later I began to wonder..."How big was that thing?" Biggest fish I've caught in a long time and I couldn't tell you how long it was, what it weighed...nothing.

If it wasn't for the picture no one would have believed me.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Great fish Zias!...and no rookie mistake...you caught him...go catch him again...you know he is in there and get a picture this time...Congrats!...

And what exactly is "fish crack'?...dare I ask?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
zman said:
Great fish Zias!...and no rookie mistake...you caught him...go catch him again...you know he is in there and get a picture this time...Congrats!...

And what exactly is "fish crack'?...dare I ask?
"fish crack" = A term I made up with my brother in law for a lure that catches 'em regardless of how you present it. I have one lure in particular that is known as, "THE crack". My b-i-l and I were out a few months ago and I was casting over my shoulder ect cause the lure couldn't miss. We were laughing so hard it hurt.

Hence, the name "crack". (You know, the drug) It's like the fish are addidcted to it. Doesn't matter what you do, it's almost as if they are gonna climb up on shore and just ask for a taste.

Twisted sense of humor, I know. ;D

Edited to add: It was inspired by the King of the Hill episode where Hank bought crack thinking it was bait. The bass became addidcted to it. If you can ever watch it, it is pretty darned funny. Episode: 'Jumpin' Crack Bass'.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Zias

I was worried I thought it might be some cross between an ICTHYOLOGIST and a Proctologist!...

A twisted sense of humor is a good thing...I can adopt the fish crack thing for my own use with my buddies...

F

·
0 Posts
great catch and you did the right thing ......If your not going to eat a fish its not worth keeping it ......and personally I think small cats cook up alot nicer then the big ones .....you can still get a master angler award without a picture you just need two witnesses .....

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
tbmanivong said:
Dan said:
Yes I have done that. A 17 inch crappie a few years ago at Chatfield.
Dan
Are you kidding me? Wow. :eek:

From Chatfield? I bet there's not many of them in there.....

Still thinkin' about them crappies...... ;)
I caught it on Easter Sunday 2001 or 2002 fishing at King Fisher. It really surprised me! The only one I have ever caught at Chatfield.

Dan

·
Registered
38 Posts
one of the last time i was at riverbend i have seen a big things swiming around in there in that cove i did not think they looked like carp i have seen carp there but not the big things i was seeing.

But sounds like a nice fish too bad you did not get a picture but you will always remember that and you got know the story

I used to go to riverbend alot but live right next to dixion, but we have got some great fish(at riverbend)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts