Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I learned a valuable lesson tonight and it is one I am not proud of.

I went fishing at Riverbend ponds and decided to try a jig since I my "fish crack" wasn't working.  Second cast, WHAM! I feel a real big hit but it then felt like a log.  So I gave it a tug or two and realize, "wow, I got one, that's a fish."  So, I reel it in after a fun fight and check it out.  A 32" catfish!

Now, I have only caught a handful of catfish before in my life.  The biggest being maybe 12 inches.  Heck, I am not even sure how to handle the things and I don't really care to eat them, so I let it go.

I get home and check out the DOW site and notice the state record is 37" and the record for the year is 31"!!!!  ARGH!  I missed owning the 2005 record.  I didn't have a camera on me and heck, I didn't even have the regs or a printout of the records.  That will never happen again since I am printing them out as soon as I am done with this post. 

The good thing is, I will never lose the memory but dangit, I am very upset with myself.

Ok, let me have it, my tail is between my legs. 

Anyone else have something similar ever happen?

I did catch a handful of bass after that but, oh well.  Live and learn.

:-\ :'(

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Derajaman said:
I'm guessing you were fishing the pond next to the river to the north?  That seems like the most likely pond for catfish.
Exactly. The real murky one that has tons of carp and is all cloudy. The one with the bridge.

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Derajaman said:
Where abouts along there did you get him?
South-west side.  I am sure you can narrow it down quicky from there.   ;D

Hope that helps.  If you catch a record, toast my name.   ;D

I don't fish for cats so have at em...

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
zman said:
Great fish Zias!...and no rookie mistake...you caught him...go catch him again...you know he is in there and get a picture this time...Congrats!...

And what exactly is "fish crack'?...dare I ask?
"fish crack" = A term I made up with my brother in law for a lure that catches 'em regardless of how you present it. I have one lure in particular that is known as, "THE crack". My b-i-l and I were out a few months ago and I was casting over my shoulder ect cause the lure couldn't miss. We were laughing so hard it hurt.

Hence, the name "crack". (You know, the drug) It's like the fish are addidcted to it. Doesn't matter what you do, it's almost as if they are gonna climb up on shore and just ask for a taste.

Twisted sense of humor, I know. ;D

Edited to add: It was inspired by the King of the Hill episode where Hank bought crack thinking it was bait. The bass became addidcted to it. If you can ever watch it, it is pretty darned funny. Episode: 'Jumpin' Crack Bass'.

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ok, first off, Ken, thanks for the great site! Not only have I had fun and learned things, but you have helped kindle my love for fishing even more with this place. You may have to deal with my wife since now whenever I am "missing" she knows I am fishing.

Second, if you are handling catfish, be carful of the barbs. They can hurt like heck. My brother in law's dad got hit with one in the leg and it got pretty infected and was very painful.

Well, I went out again and got a 28" cat on a jig again. No camera but next time the wife says she will drive out and play photographer so you guys will believe me. ;D

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ohh and I just signed up for the magazine. I can't wait to get it!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.