Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I need Help ???
I have this smell about me what I call Skunk with a little Carp.
LMAO My family is starting to think I cant fish anymore.
Thus the Skunk smell. The only thing I have caught this year is Crap ooopppps I mean Carp sorry there pretty close to same thing for me.(not to offend anyone) But I need help, new rig, new lure, new lake, new Family j/k somthin to switch it up.
Any idea is a good idea. O and I have kids who hate to not catch even a gill or two. So please HELP HELP HELP. I live in littleon if that helps.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
What are you using currently and where are you fishing? Trout powerbait, salmon eggs, kastmasters, panther martians, night crawlers will do the trick. Blue gills little pieces of worms on a hook under a bobber.
Where to fish can be a toughie... I would try the dog ponds at Chatfield since they wouldnt be to far from where you are.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I have hit chatfield, southplatte pounds, auora res, and a few local area ponds thus the carp, I have thrown kastmasters tout pattern nickle and green, taz devils, worms, spinners, top waters, rapalas diff patterns, eye riggs, powerbait, salmon eggs, etc. etc. etc. See why they think I cant fish anymore?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Then I think you just need to find the structure they are holding in... Riprap (the rocks along a dam) is a good place to start, I usually try to find an area on the riprap where the rocks end and another terrain begins, sand, mud, weeds, something. Weedlines are good fish suspend right on the inside of the weeds and ambush their prey as they swim by. Wood, submered logs, lay downs anything for fish to hide in dont just fish the part sticking out the water fish the whole area. Behind big rocks in streams and rivers, working a lure on the edges of the current and the slack water behind them will cause the brown hiding back there to nail the lure. The top of eddies fish like rainbows and catfish like to sit right behind the arrow shaped eddies and wait for food to come to them... eddies usually mean structure change under the water.
That should hold you over... fish have a keen sense of smell so if you do worry about your human smell a good thing to do is before you touch your lure go down to the water's edge scoop up some mud and rub it on your hands and then wash it off in the water. This use to be one of my fishing rituals.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Gotta back up ePiC on that. (About the structure I mean, not about sticking his hands in the mud.) Remember -- 10% of the water holds 90% of the fish. They are not evenly distributed, so you can't just walk up to the water anywhere and start catching fish. Sometimes you have no clue where the fish are. In cases like that, move often and don't stay in one place too long. If you fish for 10-15 minutes and don't get a bite, the fish gods are trying to tell you something.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the even crapier part about it is half the fishing so far has been done from boat with fish finder. Like today had to mark atleast 1000 fish at aurora but they laughed at every thing I threw at them. Lets talk sent, is it that big of deal? If so how do I get rid of it? what do u recommend to cover it up? aside from mud somthing I can use on the boat.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I am a big believer that scents either cause fish to be caught or not. I havent found it to be as important here in Colorado as I have in other states but its still important. I notice long ago days I get gas the same day I go fishing I caught alot less, or even the dreaded skunk. So I try and fill up the day before or after I go. When I work on the car and get greesey I usually dont catch fish well for a couple days either.
They make scent hidding soaps, bars, and they make scent additives all to mask your scent. Sometimes it also depends on the fish, at the Ice fishing get together Ken had used nitro greese on his tube and he was skunked until he switched that tube out, even though he was fishing close to everyone else and using the same techniques (tube with sucker meat). I would chalk it upto the nitro greese smell turning them off. So it works both ways, you can use a smell to hide your smell but make sure its the right one when they are honed in on it.

M

·
0 Posts
Aside from what has already been mentioned, I wouldn't worry about it. It's the time of the year. It's either gonna be really hot, or it's not. Give it a couple weeks to get consistent again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds to me like you need to find a place where it is relatively easy to catch fish to get a little boost to your confidence. I've found that confidence in your tackle, methods, areas, etc. can go a long way towards helping you catch fish.

That being said, when you find that water where it is easy to catch fish, let me know! ;)

L

·
0 Posts
Go to Canada. The fish bite just about anything there.

Just joking. Try some of the high country lakes for trout such as Spinney. I think trout are about the easiest to catch. I wouldn't go to Blue yet, it's a big lake and you can get skunked there if you don't know where to go. Like W.E. said, 90% of the water holds no fish,,, 90% of Blue mesa is alot of water!

PM me and I'll show you right where to fish at Spinney and what to use.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
roger that BIG KUHUNA 11 mile has always done me good.
Never tried Spinney tho, Laker you keep givin awesome advice so I will PM you tonight ;D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Most of the trout in Aurora are holding very near shore - like within 20 ft of shore!! So you might want to try leaving the boat behind and fishing from shore. Another tip is to fish the downwind sides of the lake. For example, we must have caught 20 trout from 14-22" from the dam on saturday afternoon fishing in some 1 ft chop. Yesterday it was calm and the fish were much harder to catch. Several of these trout were still leaking eggs, so that might guide your bait choice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts