Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't able to do my tune up trip or buy the new tackle I wanted to for my trip this coming week.

Part of what I was going to buy was some fluoro in 10# test to spool up my laker rods.

I DO have some Eagle Claw Tactical 12# mono... enough for all my reels.

Will that suffice for the Lakers I'm going after, or will the line be too thick/too visible? I know the mono is a bit "stretchier" than fluoro as well, but I think that will be less of a problem than the visibility factor. The trip is Tuesday, so I still have some time... but I won't have the ability to buy new line and such until Monday night. If the consensus is that I would be far better served with the 10# fluoro, I can buy some Monday night and respool before bed. Otherwise, I'll spool up tonight and be done with it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Thanks Hobie. I'll get on it right now!
Depends on what kind of mono and what weight of jig you are using. Some mono keeps to much line memory and to light of a jig wont sink fast enough. 10 lb would be a better choice than 12.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You are fine using that 12. I like 8 personally, but i fish with what I have. Good luck and post up some pics when you return!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depends on what kind of mono and what weight of jig you are using. Some mono keeps to much line memory and to light of a jig wont sink fast enough. 10 lb would be a better choice than 12.

Thanks fordo. Its "12# Lazer Line Tactical HP premium monofilament".

I will be using 1/4 oz jigs... might be grabbing some 1/2 jigs before we go. They will be tipped with meat as well.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Mr. Fordo.... you gonna be able to make it out Tuesday? Ill bring the grub and sodas. ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Never had trouble with mono until you get around 60+ft. With mono just cross their eyes on hook set and your good. Macs don't care about line in my experience. Have fun and don't over think it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Didn't read all. I only use 3/8oz jigs. They fall at the perfect speed with the weight of sucker strips I feel. I've tried all and settled on that. Be sure to get jigs with a strong hook as I have had macs straighten thin hooks in the past. Go git em.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Another thing opry. If you have a 1oz gold kasty tie that on and tip it with a small strip of meat and rip that thing like your pissed. It will bring them in. Something about the vibes. They will come in to see what the buzz is about and crush it or hit the deadstick.
Good luck

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great stuff, thanks!!!

I like using the gold kasty method to bring in fish... Different ballgame, but at Evergreen I can create a pretty intense frenzy under my spot jacking the kasty.

The jigs I have aren't the bullet type often used with tubes... they're the standard round jig head with protruding hook. I've used these with small tubes at Evergreen with success. If I need to go another route, I can shop Monday night for some better stuff.

Additionally, I found a new spool of 8# Trilene XL green mono in my stuff... would this be better than the 12, you think?

(I ALWAYS overthink. :))

Thing is, if I am confident in my stuff, it makes my trip so much more enjoyable. This is my first time going after Lakers with MY stuff by myself in a totally new location. I don't even really know where to go on the lake... With all that uncertainty, I at least want to know my terminal tackle is right.... just to eliminate ONE variable at least. :)

Its gonna be fun, no matter what... but I will still overthink my preparation... it's just in my nature. ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I never use a tube. Ball head and meat is all. Everyone and their kid sister uses tubes. Education of fish is bad. Change up from what ya hear. As far as trilene green 8lb. No prob. I've got hundreds of small macs iced on that, at granby. Careful with the big ones and don't go too deep. 60 max.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Over the last few years I've kinda gone to suffix mono. 8lb. Low memory stuff. Especially hammering a kasty. They spin that trilene green hard. Just use a swivel if need be but I like to tie straight.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Also to remember. Dead sticking macs, they bite like little perch mainly. Very light so spring bobbers are nice to detect that. The biggest Mac I hooked and straightened a hook on bit like a perch. Barely there. When I set that hook, holy ****. Totally unexpected.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all your help. The 33" I got into a couple weeks ago just barely tugged. Luckily I was holding the rod and gently lifting.... I felt him on my way up off the bottom. Didn't know he was a big'n until he woke up and took offense to the hook in his mouth. :)

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Should be fun. I'm getting all my stuff set up now... I wish I had some time to go bait fishing before Tuesday's trip... I'll just have to go with what I've got I guess.

Can't wait to get on the ice!!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
I would say save the money and just practice on your bassmaster hook set and rock the mono. Some people like to run back on the hook set. some like to jump up. its your signature so really its up to you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts