Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday 4/22 my son, grandson, and a friend, Larry picked me up at 5 AM and we headed to Oklahoma for a hog and sheep hunt. we arrived there at 4 PM their time. the cabin is west of Gracemore which is about 70 miles SW of Oklahoma City. we had dinner then met the owner and settled up with him, then he took us to the processing shed where we were to meet at 6 AM.
Sat. morning we got there at 5:55, then 2 guys from Wis. showed up about 10 min late, but the guide hadn't showed yet. we waited till about 6:45 and my son called the owner but had to leave a message. he was nice, just wondering what happened. the guys from Wis wern't so nice with their message. the guide showed up at 7 AM, he had a blow out after he left the house and had to change a tire. we all loaded up in a pickup and headed out.

it took about 10 min. to get to the first stand, as we pulled up there were 8 hogs feeding, and i spoted one in the timber that i wanted, so i went after that one. my friend Larry shot one of the hogs at the feeder but i never got a shot at the one i wanted. i was the next one to take a stand in a ground blind. i called that blind the sheep stand as at one time i had 28 sheep at the feeder at 47 yds, but not a hog all day. later in the morning Larry got another hog and a sheep. my son saw a lot of sheep but no hogs by 11 AM when we went in for lunch.

after lunch we went out for a stalk and spot hunt. the terrain was way too hard for an old fart like me so i stayed at the truck, but it was only 5 min. and i heard a shot. my son scored on a nice hog. we went to another spot and i went up the hill to a blocking position, but guess what, all i saw was sheep, 2 of them at 5 yds. then we went to the blinds again where i saw lots of sheep. one herd of 13 had 2 nice ones in it and they hung around for 10 min or so then wandered away, about 5 min later i heard a shot, then they came back but there were only 12 in the herd now. my son had scored on a nice corsican ram.
now we had the number of sheep and hogs we had paid for. however when the owner called my son back he said we could get an extra hog for the guide being late in the morning. so we headed to the cabin and it was now 10 PM we just had some sandwiches and went to bed. i woke up the next morning with my back out so bad i could hardly move, thank god for tylnol with codine. i was supposed to hunt sunday morning as i hadn't had a shot yet and was guarenteed another day to get my shot and we still had the free hog to get.
we had decided that my son and Larry would go out till 8 AM and try to get the free hog and i rode along with the guide. we got everyone out and got back to the skinning shed and the radio went off, it was my son saying he had 2 hogs down. so back out we went, my son had killed 2 hogs with one shot, both shot in the head. because the second one was a pigglet of 40 lbs the guide didn't count it.

we headed home at 8 AM sunday morning and arrived in pueblo west just before 6 PM.
the score was
5 hogs 40 to 120 lbs all head shots no shot up meat
2 sheep about 125 lbs ea both body shots for great mounts and no spoiled meat
the hogs will be made into steaks,chops, and roast with some sausage. the sheep will all be made into summer sausage and both sheep will be mounted

gas prices were not bad. the highest we paid was $3.69 the lowest was $3.59 the highest we saw was $3.74 the weather was good Fri.& Sat with light rain on Sun. till about the time were leaving Texas a few showers in NM and Co

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
swimbait said:
nom nom nom, piggie... ^-^
I heard the nom nom nom joke told differently...

Nice job Byron and company...thanks for sharing!...

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I'll bet the little 40 pounder will be great. Have you had the Corsican sheep before? If you're grinding them all up into summer sausage, I'm thinking you might know from experience that they might be a little on the strong side.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
yes Jason the young ones are very good to eat. thats why we shot all of them under 125 lbs. the last time we went to texas and could only get 2 that were about 175 lbs ea. they tasted ok but they were very tough. on those we should have had it all made into sausage

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
walleye seeker said:
yes Jason the young ones are very good to eat. thats why we shot all of them under 125 lbs. the last time we went to texas and could only get 2 that were about 175 lbs ea. they tasted ok but they were very tough. on those we should have had it all made into sausage
Any chance I could have a package of meat? I would like to know how it tastes...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts