Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Kelly, I have to admit I never cared for them years ago when I worked at SW. Kind of clunky-feeling, not smooth. A little gimmicky too, like trying to stuff more ball bearings in the reel than anyone else -- as if that equaled quality performance. Back then, it didn't. Perhaps they have improved since. (?)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the reason I asked is I am trying to redirect my web site and am looking at doing dropshipping fishing stuff and one of the items they offer are Okuma reels. also looking at lines and lures and such. right now all I have on there is Fish finders and some camping stuff thats worth looking at. My wife started it and she got frustrated with it so I took it over. I'm also looking at high end knives and such.

Kelly

·
Banned
3,879 Posts
I have one Okuma that is set up for lead core...I dont have anything against them but the only reason I bought that one was because I needed two lead core set ups and I was miles away from any where else...

The shop had that Okuma and a Penn 209...If he'd have had two Penns I probably wouldn't have any Okumas...

By no means am I dissapointed with it though... It does what I need it to do.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
they make from very low end to top quality. i own 6 and have used them for 3 years, only one had a problem, the part was cheep and easy to replace. all are still running fine. i also got a great price on18 that i bought for resale and as far as i know all are still woreking

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I use fly and spin reels from okuma and if you get the right series I would say they are the best bang for the buck out there! I have a fly reel that has served me well for 15 years and is still top notch. It also only cost 25 bucks! I also use their guide select rods in both spin and fly, i love almost everything they make!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I use their magda pro line counters for trolling, and like them. they have held up to 4years of pulling oversized plugs and numerous northerns. I think they were around $45. the only gripe I have with them is over time the linecounter sticks.

I have one of their sierra fly reels and I am not that fond of it. The drag constantly loosens, and does not have that wide of a range.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I have one Okuma ultralight rod and a couple of Okuma Inspira ultralight spinning reels, they have never been anything but outstanding, for me. I like them a lot. Maybe those who have had a problem bought the low end models or something.

If you buy the low end reels from any manufacturer -- not just Okuma -- don't be surprised if they don't last as long as you would wish. You get what you pay for.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy more Okuma stuff. Those UL reels are very smooth, and never a problem. Every spring I oil the pivot points for the bail and grease the oscillating shaft where the spool is mounted. But I never open the gear case, that seems to be pretty well sealed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts