Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well was cleaning the garage today and found a rod
and am hoping someone can help me out it

its a hexigon shaped rod 8' 6" dont know who made it
it has in cursive writing Governor on it

i took some pics of it will try to post them when i get them back

but was hoping some one would just know off the top of their head if i should keep ahold of the rod or just put it in a corner and hope some day that it will be worth something so if anyone can help i could use it

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
fishingkats said:
well was cleaning the garage today and found a rod
and am hoping someone can help me out it

its a hexigon shaped rod 8' 6" dont know who made it
it has in cursive writing Governor on it

i took some pics of it will try to post them when i get them back

but was hoping some one would just know off the top of their head if i should keep ahold of the rod or just put it in a corner and hope some day that it will be worth something so if anyone can help i could use it
You might have a Horrocks-Ibbotson "Governor" model split cane fly rod. They made several models, including "Governor", "President", "Chancellor", and quite a few more. The name of the rod was usually written in white. Many of the Horrocks-Ibbotson rods had either a decal or a stamped logo on the reel seat. Some of the logos they used was a trout, a diamond shape, and an elongated double diamond.

I have seen collector prices ranging from $150 to $250 depending on condition for the Governor model.

No, I can't tell you where to find somebody that will pay that for the rod (not me! :) ) but you shouldn't throw it away.

W. E.

Edited:
I see JB has given you a link to some info on it. If you do a Google search for Horrocks-Ibbotson you can probably come up with some more info. Interesting company.

A rod like that is probably 50 or 60 years old. When was the last time you cleaned your garage? :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well when i lived in evans co i use to work at evans trading post and they use to buy whole house holds and a lot of storage units so when ever we use to get fishing stuff in i would just buy it because they use to let me have it at a good price but now that i live down here in lamar
all that stuff is just sitting in a corner thought i would look into what it might be before i let it go for 10 buck at a yardsale thanks guys for your help

N

·
0 Posts
I think Eagle is right, I would bet it is an HI. Are you going to post pics? I have recently developed an infatuation with old cane rods, so I might be interested. Is it in good shape? Post some pics and I will check it out.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i get the pics back from walmart i will post them

i use to fish with this rod when i first bought it
now all it does is sit in the corner of my room

N

·
0 Posts
Where are you located at? Still thinking about getting rid of it? If you are in Metro Denver I will come take a look.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when i bought it i lived in evans but now i live in lamar co
way east

the rod was cool when i bought it
it had this funky reel with it what looked like braided string but not like the new braided string if you know what i mean but the reel looked like it was missing a piece to make it work so i sold it i think i got like 25 bucks for the reel but i kept the rod and used it for a while but now it just sits in the living room corner

not sure what to do with it right now should just sell it and make someone happy the wife would be happy if i sold some of my rods ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts