Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent about 4 hrs. casting for the most illusive fresh water gamefish today and only had one follow. A pretty decent fish though. Probably 36-38", Spooky ,turned away probably 6' from the boat. not very hot, I think we need a few more warm sunny days.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you know you're getting a follow like that give the lure a quick snap or let it fall or just dangle it in front of their face. Sometimes you can get them to nail it even though they're not super agressive.

You might have already known that but maybe someone else can use the tip.

I bet your adrenaline was going on that one!

Good job!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
figure 8. Are tigers harder to catch than regular muskies?

·
Registered
24 Posts
From my experience and talking with others tigers here are spookier than true muskies. I've never had one follow a figure eight. They always seem to turn away at first sight of the boat. That's not to say don't figure eight....you never know when one of these guys are trailing deep and a turn at the boat might bring it up for a strike.

Probably the best approach is to create some sort of change in your retrieve away from the boat or shore, before they get a chance to see you. I'll often retrieve a bucktail way to one side as it gets closer, then completely switch to the other side and make a quick shift in its direction. Hasn't worked yet for me, but seems it might!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Whaler- That is a good technique for pike (what you are describing). I'm sure it would work for muskies too. The only place I've had a figure 8 really work here in colorado is on the yampa river...but those pike are not the brightest bunch- not like the normally ph'd pike we have in colorado.
A good idea might be to use a follow up lure for these musky, meaning if you locate a large one with an aggressive lure, then throw a more passive lure near its area and the fish just might hit. Zoom super fluke!!!!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I went out to Quincy one summer probably 30 times in direct persuit of tigers. Hardly saw any. However, there was one perticular day where I saw about four hanging out in a brushpile. Walked up on them to closely and they were gone. Came back the next day and for whatever reason they were back again. Put a diver on a sinktip one strip and as the diver climbed to the surfcace a 35 incher slammed it. Awesome fight! Definetly put my casts in for it and it has been my only tiger to date. Through the process I hooked plenty of nice largemouth to hold me over so it worked out.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I went back out today and didn't even see one. I'll be out there every morning for the next month. Ten legals is the goal.

Anybody that wants to go, I can outfit, you just need to bring some grub and catch and release only.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Paint the bottom of your boat sky blue! That's why you see so many Musky fisherman back in the midwest with the lower hull of there boat that color! It blends in with the color of the sky when they come close and are less apt to leave. A LOT of lund boats are that color. I grew up fishing out of a sky-blue colored tri-hull with a 20hp chrysler on the back!!!

Anyway, beyond that - I know from 30 years of experience of chasing Muskys that they are a VERY fickle fish!! In these more clear Colorado waters, I would keep a a large slugo type bait on an extra rod to pitch out in the direction they were headed when you see one and they spook. Let it fall down naturallly...... You may be surprised to see your line heading off in a different direction!!'

Tim-COS

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I didn't know you could put a boat on evergreen lake. Is it electic motors only?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tim-COS that's a great idea! One I've been pondering for a while. I was actually thinking of painting a tree-lined scene with dark skies...trick them into thinking a cold front is moving in. But then again there aren't so many tree-lined shores in Colorado so that would be more for Canada. How about fabric you can drape over the side of the boat that matches the area you're in....could do tumbleweed for plains lakes and mountains for mountain lakes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts