Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would ya get for bass wiper pike if you had to use just one ? And what would your line of choice be !

·
Banned
553 Posts
7'0 MH rod, 7.1.1 gear ratio baitcasting reel, 30lb power pro while using different leaders accordingly.
7'1"MHXF spinning is my fav rod i have. Id give it up for all others. Basically my laker rod. That XF sure makes a huge difference in 60+ fow from the bank. My 7'0MH is under quite a load that far out. Works great for smallies but i cant seem to work the spook quite right with that rod. :/

·
Registered
337 Posts
8 or 9 wt. flyrod...get an extra spool for the reel so you can have a sink tip line as well as a floating line... 2x to 3x leader and tippet on the floating line...no need for a tapered leader on the sink tip, 0x to 2x tippet will be just fine.

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
A fyraxe sighting!!!! LOL...How and where ya been bud? Good to see you back posting dude!!! :rockon::rockon::rockon:

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
For me it's the Phenix UMBX-707H 7'7" 10-25 3/8 - 1 1/4 oz. Such a versatile rod, especially for bigger game fish.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
For wiper and pike in particular, I would highly recommend going to a longer rod, mainly for casting distance. With those two species, covering a lot of water is the name of the game and you get the most out of a longer rod. It's also nice for fighting bigger fish as long as you realize you have more leverage.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
For wiper and pike in particular, I would highly recommend going to a longer rod, mainly for casting distance. With those two species, covering a lot of water is the name of the game and you get the most out of a longer rod. It's also nice for fighting bigger fish as long as you realize you have more leverage.
Would seven inches really make that much of a difference?

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I kid, I KIIIIID!!!! Yes, 7" will make that much difference. When chasing big fish, I'll take every bit of advantage I can get. An extra 10' casting distance over 500 casts is 5000 more feet of water time for those lures.

·
Banned
553 Posts
I did. She said she didn't know because she hadn't seen seven inches since we met... Lol/crying...
Dont feel bad. Im workin with a ultra light ice rod over here as well. No medium heavy here.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A fyraxe sighting!!!! LOL...How and where ya been bud? Good to see you back posting dude!!! :rockon::rockon::rockon:
I have been stuck in ca. Every time I get on here I get homesick for the fishin there . Here Its stocked trout ( a 16-18 is big here) bass , or big water.big water is a little to far for me. At most of the lakes it costs about 35 bucks to launch n fish. " I'LL BE BACK "

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Back there I think I chased evreything but bass. However since someone decided to relieve me of the hassle of luggin 10 planos loaded to the brim with tackle out of my boat in my own back yard. I am slowly rebuildin my gear starting with bass stuff. I am lucky enough to live near 3 or 4 lakes that have 15 lb plus bass in them . Including one with state record of a 9 lb smallie. Hence the reason for the thread.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Had the original poster not included wiper, I would have suggested a swimbait rod...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts