Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up in Minnesota and week long summer resort trips were part of my upbringing...every few years I miss it and start to look for a perfect lake resort somewhere...havent done Canada in awhile and it always seems like the land time forgot...and my wife loves it...peace and quiet, lots of wildlife in foxes, loons, otters, book reading and movie watching and fishing forays in the boat and on the dock...get up the next day and rinse and repeat...so I have been reading Ontario fishing forums looking for the next spot...and I came across the following thread...remember this is a lake in Ontario in the prime time of June...doesnt sound much different than Creek or Chatty for all of us at one time or another...its 22 short posts and is titled Can't Buy An Eye...

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82519

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I grew up in Minnesota and week long summer resort trips were part of my upbringing...every few years I miss it and start to look for a perfect lake resort somewhere...havent done Canada in awhile and it always seems like the land time forgot...and my wife loves it...peace and quiet, lots of wildlife in foxes, loons, otters, book reading and movie watching and fishing forays in the boat and on the dock...get up the next day and rinse and repeat...so I have been reading Ontario fishing forums looking for the next spot...and I came across the following thread...remember this is a lake in Ontario in the prime time of June...doesnt sound much different than Creek or Chatty for all of us at one time or another...its 22 short posts and is titled Can't Buy An Eye...

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82519
you are a loon.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Oh Man.....
THAT would SUCK.... specially on a fly in...
We do a HOUSEBOAT trip every other year, on Lake of the Woods in the Fall and I'm always fearful
of weather or "tough" fishing...
Weather.... well..... You MAN up.. and fish..
Since 1998, only had one TOUGH year and that was Sept. 2014...
Can't explain that year... usually in 9 days, between 4 of Us, We get 900-1000
Fish; 95% Eyes...
2014... we got maybe 150.... and ONLY 4 Pike.... STRANGE...

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I read the thread... And now I wanna shake you..

Mark, from what I read the lake is in the middle of a mayfly hatch. Of course the fish aren't gonna bite if the fish are focused on other prey, yo.

Plus it's like one of literally thousands of lakes in Ontario. I did a search on google maps and the results of lakes nearby that one small lake in question.... made my screen look like smurfs bukakked all over my phone. You shouldn't judge the entirety of Canadian Shield fishing based upon one shitty report on one lake in the area.

If I lived there and the fishing sucked... I'd just do what I do here... Leave and drive down the road to go to one of the other 20 big lakes nearby...

And before you say "you gotta fly in... " this lake is like 2 hours from Toronto.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
MAYFLY HATCH..... :eek:
Was on a No. Minnesota lake (Cass) about 25 years ago
BIG TIME mayfly hatch... Daytime bite SUCKED....
I remembered reading an an "old" In Fisherman article about this and the light bulb clicked..
It suggested TROLLING 3-4" Rapalas over shallow humps and points at nite..
Me and My Cousin tried it and cleaned up... lots of 3-5 lbers were caught..
We just killed it the last 2 nites We were there....
So sad that it was the LAST 2 nites out of a 9 day trip...:-\

1 - 7 of 7 Posts