Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yep, it's time again. Headed to Rifle for some perch and pike action, not really sure why since I hate ice fishing. Started drilling in about 15' and didn't mark a fish until we hit 25'. Punched a hole at 28' and didn't move after that. Large schools moving in and out, catching 1-5 each time. Set some tip-ups as well, but didn't see a flag all day. After we had a bucket of perch we decided to check out the open water and cast for pike. Didn't see a single fish, even though we talked to a couple of guys who reported seeing a few cruisers.

The perch were easy, tip a bare jig with an eyeball and it was easy. they were hitting the jig dead still or moving, didn't seem to matter.

Ice was 5"-10" depending, edges are soft but not bad.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
I hate ice fishing.
I hate Not icefishing :(
Jevan's daughter had rock climbing today, so he couldn't go. Jim's working, probably too late to see what Max is doing..
Was supposed to take the family to Red Feathers today, but son and wife aren't feeling well.. :'(

Nice on the Perch ;D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thats what Ive found this year is the deeper you go the more perch there are. Glad you got out on the ice geek. I'm going tomorrow for pike. Hoping the new liprippers/slammers work out. ;)

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spent way to much time cleaning those little buggers, sure were tasty though.

Goose/ TB, wish I could get up there with you and learn a little about pike through the ice, never landed one that way only open water.

·
Registered
12 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
Goose/ TB, wish I could get up there with you and learn a little about pike through the ice, never landed one that way only open water.
Just hook up some time. It was slow today. Only two pike 20"and 27" and a bucket full of perch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts