Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found some pretty local open water today and had a great time. First open water walleye of 2015!! I seriously needed this, winter is really starting to get to me. Fished for a couple hours and I caught 5 13-15" walleye and a few more small 10 inchers. Also caught a few cats one of which was not bad size, at least 5lbs. It was nice to feel some fish hitting my lures again, come on spring!! 3 out of the 5 decent fish had a black marking on the back of the dorsal fin which I have never seen before

http://s290.photobucket.com/user/ilovemyboaconstricto/media/Mobile Uploads/20150125_155150.jpg.html

·
Registered
499 Posts
Nice fish, Good job.

Maybe the mark is there because they are all siblings or cousins? Don't know.

Mac

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice fish, Good job.

Maybe the mark is there because they are all siblings or cousins? Don't know.

Mac
They have to be related, there is no other way that would happen I don't think. I originally only noticed 2 of them with black spots today, once I got home and looked at the pictures I noticed the 3rd.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fish have to be there owen!!! It seemed like the pond you just posted you could cover pretty much the entire thing, they have to be in there somewhere lol. Are the fish biting in the pond behind your house?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I fished my pond a few days ago. Got one short strike on a spinner but nothing else.

They're in there... Just hidin' out like some little bitches.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why don't you go find where they are at in that pond, and transfer that knowledge to the large bodies of water

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
In the big reservoirs, dudes are ripping crappie, white bass, and smallies to pieces right now. Limit after limit.

They're an hour east and 1100 feet down in elevation from up here... Water temps are 5-10 degrees warmer. Hell, those guys straight up post how and where they're catching em... Shallow tributaries, random structure on wide flats... They use planer boards with minnows trolling at .8-1.6 MPH.

Doesn't help me up here fishing from shore though... My local lakes are about 3-5% shore-accessible... Usually a few miles of shoreline with 100-200 ft. of bank access. I don't think I'm going to get the raft out again until I have a sunny 55+ degree day and all day to fish. Not worth it to take it out, blow it up, and then get freezing rain and icy winds fishing with the boy. Does NOT equate to a good day on the water.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know that spot too! The one on the walleye that is. :D All walleyes and saugeyes should have that spot. desribed here as a "blotch" at the rear base of the dorsal fin: http://www.anglersfishinginfo.com/articles/fishident/walleye.htm

Good job on the eyes! I'll be chasing them in open water soon.
Holy **** your right :eek: Just went through pics from last year and they all have it...I have never noticed that until yesterday. Now I feel like a dumbass :D

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting the you got cats on a lure in the winter. I have only ever had them that aggressive when the water is very warm.
Really? In my experience cats are more aggressive in cold water, I have caught a lot of cats on lures between September and January, way more than I ever do in the warm months

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Holy **** your right :eek: Just went through pics from last year and they all have it...I have never noticed that until yesterday. Now I feel like a dumbass :D
You wanna hear a funny story? A friend of mine just told me last Saturday that, on his first trip to North Dakota, he and his girlfriend thought they kept catching the same fish over and over again because the fish had a white spot on the tail (that was also their first time catching walleyes). :D Eventually, someone told them that all walleyes have a white spot on their tail... I won't name him, but his picture is in the "Chatfield Sausage Party" thread. :lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts