Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Forecast here in CS is upper 40's to upper 50's for the next week. In Pueblo it's lower 50's to lower 60's. With some wind.

I'm guessing we'll have some open water soon- Willow Springs (which is already 1/2 open and Valco ponds which has rotten skim ice.

And Pueblo res which is open to mid-island.

Anybody else gonna have some open water to fish by this weekend?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Yep. Smith Lake here in Denver is 1/3 open and receding every day. No trophies in there, but I might be able to get a few gills on the fly. ;)

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I drove by Standley this morning. Between the high winds and the weather, it is going to be wide open soon. I can't imagine the other lakes in the area would be far behind.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Yep going to have a lot of open water along the front range very soon.

Hope we don't have more guys going through the ice because of this.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You love that little pond. Almost as much as the dogs!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Not a fan of the warm weather and wind chewing up the ice! I was hoping to do some icing on P-lo this year but I feel like it's going to be a short window - if a window at all!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Yea... I am in ice mode too... just can't seem to get into em in the metro area... I might have to schedule a trip up to Grand county again. We did GREAT at Willow Creek last time we went. Nothing real big, but a ton of em!!! :) With the boy, fast action is as important (or more) as size of fish. Though, to his credit, he enjoys catching multiple species. He got tired of.catching dink bows at Evergreen and told be he wanted to catch bluegills through the ice. That's when we started fishing metro and the icy skunk began.

Or I could just spend the money on a Parks Pass and make Chatfield my bi*ch every week.. its closer than Evergreen and the Creek and multiple species are possible there. :)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Yep. Smith Lake here in Denver is 1/3 open and receding every day. No trophies in there, but I might be able to get a few gills on the fly. ;)
Try and get a carp if you can, too. I've pulled some nice carp out of there and some decent small and largemouth as well.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
We talking about the same Smith???

Just north of Grasmere Lake in Washington Park?

That had to be bucket biology...

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
The Fishing Close to Home book lists 2 previous state records for smallies out of Smith Res...in Lakewood...

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Yea, that wasn't the one I was talking about. PD hooked me up in a PM.

You ever fish Lakewood much, Z? I hear there are some quality lakes out there...

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Yes there are...several...I lived in Green Mountain area for 20 years until I moved east to the projects...

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Hehe... I like that part of town. My aunt lives in Littleton. We drive through Lakewood often to go see her... there are a few ponds there I've had my eye on... sounds like I need to go check a few out in the Spring.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts