Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at antero today and had a carpy day there was about 100 people there and all had boats and i had to yell at one man he just about ramed me i was pised and i only had one good fish all day and that fish was about 20 inches that was my day and i think others in the parking lot people were disapoted as well and the weather sucked it snowed abotu an inch late day and now i will go to the cats to get some nice fish on some caddis and try to have a lot better day. i could have gone to the dream stream and could have had a lot better day hopefuly you had a better day than i did.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Thanks for the report, bigfisherman. I was considering going to Antero today because I figured the crowds would be lite with the crummy weather..........guess not! Glad I stayed away. I cannot take the crowds at Antero. If someone hit my boat, I would flip the !*@% out. It's just better that I stay away from that crowd. Better luck next time to you!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Chill

Figure the time you were fishing.
Subtract the time you almost got hit by a boat. The rest of the day was pretty good for you.
Most of the 100 people there were having a good time.
Its May, enjoy the weather, you got to wear all your clothing.
Some people fish for months without catching a 20 inch fish.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya but a 20 inch fish i pretty small for antero and any were els i cant stand those people who keep those 17-19 fish i threw back all of the fish i cought today and that was 3. i think antero needs to be 1 fish 20 inches or bigger that res is to good to be keeping 17 inch fish dont you think so

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
sorry to hear that your day was so bad you should have come to Spinney as there were only 6 boats and most of them were catching fish the weather was a little chilly but not too bad hopefully your next trip is better for you.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I know a 20" fish is nothing to brag about at Antero, but it is still a nice fish nonetheless! Way to go, and at least you didn't get ripped off like some people that have been there!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Atleast you didn't get skunked and atleast the boat didn't get rammed. Sucks you gotta put up with that kinda stuff out there but that would be about a tipical day at CC or chatty. haha

·
Registered
341 Posts
bigfisherman said:
ya but a 20 inch fish i pretty small for antero and any were els i cant stand those people who keep those 17-19 fish i threw back all of the fish i cought today and that was 3. i think antero needs to be 1 fish 20 inches or bigger that res is to good to be keeping 17 inch fish dont you think so
Glad to be on your nerves for catching and keeping 17-19's ;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
BIGFISHERMAN,

I love fishing Antero and I do it a lot. This is basically a put and take, shallow water lake, that grows trout as well as a hatchery feeding program.
Killing fish under 20" in this lake, is not in my opinion, or the biologist in charge of the lake, going to have a negative impact on the fishery.

If you walked around this lake after the winter kill in 2007/2008 you could have seen why the lake lost many of it's 20+ inch fish. There were literally hundreds of dead pigs, if not thousands. I believe the estimate was 50+ % of the fish died.

What does make me a bit crazy is the people killing the fish over 5#. If they want one for a mount, that's fine and good for the taxidermists. If they want to eat it, they normally do not taste very good. I kill a couple fish every two weeks or so at this lake and my wife and I enjoy eating them, especially when the waters below 55 degrees. These fish are normally in the 16-18" range and it doesn't bother me or the fishery.
If the lake could hold fish over very severe winter conditions, I'd probably agree more with your ideas, but for now, it's a hatchery fed, put and take fishery. A very unusual and amazing one, but it's not the Snake River or the Frying Pan.

Released to the frypan, the one with oil, not the one with water.

Released to the water

Released to the water

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got rammed last summer while on anchor by the island. Two guys in a oversized brown jon boat zipped over to me, cut the motor and then glided into me. I had to reach out and hold his boat off while he stood there and watched. Then his 10 rods got tangled into my spare rod. I held his boat off as the wind blew us around while he got the rods untangled. Then after all that he had to nerve to ask me how the fishing was. Antero is a special place...

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Trout said:
He just has to be messing with us. :D
Haha. I got there at about 10AM. It was cold and foggy, but I could see all the way across to the other side. I could count the number boats on two hands, and no, I don't have ten sets of hands. No one was catching much, not even the bait guys. Not too many people on shore either. I do like the attempt at couterintelligence though! Anything to keep the masses away. ;D

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
bigfisherman said:
I was at antero today and had a carpy day there was about 100 people there and all had boats and i had to yell at one man he just about ramed me i was pised and i only had one good fish all day and that fish was about 20 inches that was my day and i think others in the parking lot people were disapoted as well and the weather sucked it snowed abotu an inch late day and now i will go to the cats to get some nice fish on some caddis and try to have a lot better day. i could have gone to the dream stream and could have had a lot better day hopefuly you had a better day than i did.
Is that you Wilson ???

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Anteroman said:
BIGFISHERMAN,

I love fishing Antero and I do it a lot. This is basically a put and take, shallow water lake, that grows trout as well as a hatchery feeding program.
Killing fish under 20" in this lake, is not in my opinion, or the biologist in charge of the lake, going to have a negative impact on the fishery.

If you walked around this lake after the winter kill in 2007/2008 you could have seen why the lake lost many of it's 20+ inch fish. There were literally hundreds of dead pigs, if not thousands. I believe the estimate was 50+ % of the fish died.

What does make me a bit crazy is the people killing the fish over 5#. If they want one for a mount, that's fine and good for the taxidermists. If they want to eat it, they normally do not taste very good. I kill a couple fish every two weeks or so at this lake and my wife and I enjoy eating them, especially when the waters below 55 degrees. These fish are normally in the 16-18" range and it doesn't bother me or the fishery.
If the lake could hold fish over very severe winter conditions, I'd probably agree more with your ideas, but for now, it's a hatchery fed, put and take fishery. A very unusual and amazing one, but it's not the Snake River or the Frying Pan.

Released to the water

Released to the water
Great work on those bows - and I really like that you selectively harvest. I respect that - both releases were some beasts!!!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Weezy said:
Anteroman said:
BIGFISHERMAN,

Released to the water

Released to the water
Great work on those bows - and I really like that you selectively harvest. I respect that - both releases were some beasts!!!
Weezy said:
Anteroman said:
BIGFISHERMAN,

Released to the water

Released to the water
Nice fish!

I've heard that those fish taste like weeds. NOT!! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts