Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Headed east looking for wipers early this morning and could have saved the miles. Water temp was 45 degrees at eight. Got up to 49 by 11:30. One hit for me and none for the boys so we backtracked to Pueblo. Fished Pueblo from 1:00 until 5. Water temps were 61 to 63 degrees. Lots of fish marked and tons of shad. Caught a few walleyes, smallies and carp. All jigging, no bait, except for an eye Jim caught trolling. It was a great day out with the boys. Can't ask for much more than to spend a day out with my sons.

Bryan got up to 14 mph today.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not often I can get pics holding fish in the toon...usually just fish in a net or on a stringer.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks. It was fun. Fishing is tough down there right now. A lot of fish...but so many shad. I noticed a lot of shad were schooled up on the boat ramp when we pulled up. I walked up the shoreline and shad were everywhere. This was unlike last week, fished between cold fronts, and that day the shad were twenty to fifty feet deep. Actually, they were so thick that the shad were shad to shad to shad, twenty to fifty feet thick.

Yesterday, we marked a lot of fish. If you marked fish in twenty five to thirty five foot of water with no shad around. Forget it. You could pound them on the head and they weren't going to bite. In the spring or early summer, you would have been hooked up every cast. If you found shad and the fish were ten feet below them..forget it..they weren't going to bite. You had to find the shad with fish mixed in the pod ..or just a couple of feet below it. Those fish would bite. Had to keep looking and skipping fish I normally would have dropped on. Like I mentioned. Plenty of fish..just which ones would eat? And yesterday they were all in water 10 to fifteen feet deep. Up against the shorelines. I could sit in water 12 feet deep yesterday with thousands ..upon thousands of shad, from top to bottom, swimming around me. The food supply is really amazing.

I'd say for those night time shore stalkers...the timing is right for some big fish after dark.

Haha..And Chris...Dang man those carp pull as hard as any game fish in Colorado...harder than most. If it isn't an eater eye, I'd just as soon hook a monster carp as any fish down there. The tug is the drug...I don't take that many fish home anyway.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Yup my reels need some greasing due to those blistering Carp runs-

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The tug is the drug...
:thumb:That sums it up. But, I'd much rather the carp be a bonus fish for the day; not the only fish. Weather and shad have slowed things down everywhere. Lakes that don't have huge shad numbers were even slow the last few outings. Kinda got spoiled with hundred fish days in the dog days of summer for sure.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Great report Hobie!:thumb::thumb::thumb:
I would think with the colder water temps the shad are starting to slow way down before they die, easy pickins for the Walleye.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah Brew, some are dead on the shorelines, you see quivering dying shad float by. But, right now they've pushed in close to shore and they are thick. I'd see shad, nervous on top of the water, it was real calm yesterday, ten by ten foot spots all over the cove just shimmering. And, then a fish would bust them. Not boils, just individual fish and easy pickings. I watched a few just push them to shore with a mighty rush...Tiny shad running across the water and flipping up on the bank to avoid getting eaten. They'll be moving deep soon enough, as the nights continue to get colder. And, it shouldn't be long before they really start dying off. Right now, everything is so full of shad...even the seagulls seem to be satisfied..ignoring the dying shad limping across the water.

As far as easy pickings for the walleye..As thick as the shad are right now, I think they could eat all they want by just swimming with their mouth open.

I'd say the fish are still eating well. Look at the bellies on those carp. It's just that they can eat their fill in a short window of time. They don't have to search for food all day long. So, I just have to look for the fish that are eating...while I'm fishing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts