Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Word is that fishing out of state is wayyy too easy. So I made a 4-day trip last weekend. The fish were soooo easy to catch, I wished I had stayed home. Really.

Wipah and whites (homemade rod is maybe 44-46", wipah was meh but whites were healthy):

Crappie:

A real man's lunch (the hotdogs were for my friend's 15 year old son):

Fishing in 30+ miles per hour winds (for some nibbles and a handful of walleyes in two hours between all the guys in the picture):

For you sentimental guys (I didn't and don't believe I ever took a picture of a sunset):

This last picture will let you know where one of the lakes was if you've been there... :cool:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what was the total fish count
Not sure. I caught more or less 35 fish in 3 and a half days of fishing. Well below my limit :D Should have stayed home... :-[

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Damn, dude. Your friend's son needs to lay off the hotdogs. You can't eat a whole pack of hotdogs for lunch :eek:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn, dude. Your friend's son needs to lay off the hotdogs. You can't eat a whole pack of hotdogs for lunch :eek:
Well, the "real" men had some too, but the reason why the dogs were brought for the trip was for the younger guy...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stayed home??

Looks like a nice trip AO!
No, this was out of state, but I did find myself wishing I had stayed home at some points during the trip. The fishing was OK by Colorado standards. I will remember fishing in the blizzard for sure. :D By the way, three of my friends were in the huts. They were the wise guys. I am standing south of the wind behind one of the huts and I told my friend's son to stand behind the other huts. The other guys are just beasts! I would have called it quits after a half hour. We had huts but didn't want to set them up and take them down in the wind.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Looks like an awesome trip! I may have taken a lunch break with those kinds of winds. I like to enjoy fishing, those winds would have made it tough...

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Well, the "real" men had some too, but the reason why the dogs were brought for the trip was for the younger guy...
;D I'm just fking with you. :hug: :llama: I'm a recovering hotdog addicted ( there's your freebie for me liking tube meat in my mouth).

Looks like a decent trip, but I would never travel out of state for fishing :mad:

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Sweet! Minus that wind
Brutal!!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
That was a def a substandard trip. You must have cursed us with all tha "easy talk" hahaha. I still iced 30 plus eyes, 20 plus whites, 1 crappie and 1 wiper. I was one of the warm ones in a hut in AOs photo. Is it normal though for beers cans to be floating by while ice fishing in a blizzard? My Mr heater works too well.

Buddy manning grill and still catching fish.

I used a rapala jigging shad rap clown glow in dark 3/16ths tipped with minnow head or tail and my bubble gum pink HD Ice not tipped for all my fish. Tried other stuff but dang they likes that combo and so did I.
Still a fun trip regardless of crappy fishing and blizzards.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Cool. Thats why we went friday it was warm and sunny.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nice fish. what was the bait of choice? what part of the lake?
Baits for me: jigging raps and rippin raps for wipers and whites. Tubes and small marabou jigs with spikes/waxworms for crappies. Others did well on the HD ice and spoons too. I don't think we have the same lake in mind. I think the lake you have in mind has had a dramatic change in water level. I don't know whether they would be at the same spots at that lake now, but I would try the north east corner and there is also a ridge somewhere off the dam. We fished 3 different lakes.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That was a def a substandard trip. You must have cursed us with all tha "easy talk" hahaha. I still iced 30 plus eyes, 20 plus whites, 1 crappie and 1 wiper.
Guess you did better than I thought. :D Yeah, it was a sucky trip for being out of state...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
;D I'm just fking with you. :hug: :llama: I'm a recovering hotdog addicted ( there's your freebie for me liking tube meat in my mouth).

Looks like a decent trip, but I would never travel out of state for fishing :mad:
I know you are. I come here to kill time too. Welcome back.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts