Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went back to the Aberdeen/Webster area in South Dakota this past weekend to meet up with friends and get in a day of fishing. We decided to target eyes since they are a little tougher to catch through the ice here in CO. I wish I would have stuck around longer to chase some footballs, but I am not complaining.

Generally we fish lakes like Bitter, Waubay, and Lynn, but this year we tried some new areas to stay away from the crowds. My local friends said the bite had been pretty slow on the big lakes so we figured why not.

Fished from 30 mins before sun up until about 10:30 PM. We also fished 4 different bodies of water. Walleyes were caught at all of them, but some were better than others. It was a great trip and hopefully I can get out there again for some late ice action.

It was the best day weather wise you can get in the glacial lake region, 14 degrees and 5 mph winds. We didn't have to set up the shacks until we prepared for the night bite. Usually you are hunkered down in your shack because there are constant 20 mph winds.

Sunrise:

Setting up for the night bite:

Sunset:

The Loot:

I've had a pretty good ice season so far. The next two weekends I'm chasing lakers. Hopefully, the action continues.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Great Job... !!
Been up that US 81 route many, many times on Our way North of the Border, over nighting in Madison or Watertown...
VERY NICE area with just TONS of water...
Met lots of nice people up there, also ! :smile:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I grew up North of Aberdeen , amazing all the old slough up there now have walleyes and perch in them. The NDAK game and fish has really done a good job of expanding the fisheries. No Dak in the winter though is not on my bucket list!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perch was 13.5". Not bad for up there but they get much bigger. I'm still waiting for the 15" wall hanger though. I've come close too many times. Biggest walleye was 22", We lost some bigger ones during the night bite. Just couldn't wrangle them up the hole. It's a little harder when they ice is 25 inches thick.

I couldn't believe the weather. The sun was out and no wind, that never happens!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Cool Dakota!

Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
568 Posts
When the weathers good and the fish are biting it's always a great trip. What kind of baits did you use and any average depth for eyes or did you bounce around a lot?

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Great Job... !!
Been up that US 81 route many, many times on Our way North of the Border, over nighting in Madison or Watertown...
VERY NICE area with just TONS of water...
Met lots of nice people up there, also ! :smile:
so what youre saying is i shoulda kept driving north when I went to valentine? lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts