Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always used to rund the gas out of my outboard because I was told if you leave gas in the carburetor (I got a 2 stroke) it will gum up and turn to varnish, whatever. 

Then guys started telling me I was doing more harm because when you run the engine out of gas this will cause the carburetor gaskets and seals to dry out over time and crack, causing problems.

So for the past 3-4 yrs I have been leaving the gas hooked up.  To be honest the engine runs fine, no problems and I never had any problems when I ran it out of gas either.

Anybody got an opinion on which is better.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
My grandpa used to run the fuel out of his outboards each fall, so we did the same. After 40 or more years, we still have the outboards, and they still run - thousands and thousands of hours, I guess that says something. I still do that for those engines, they sit in michigan unused for 10 months a year. I don't worry about it here, although my boat did sit unused for 5 months this year :(.

Gear head? No just blonde.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talo-I do add "stabil" to the gas in the winter but even then I usually get my boat out 2-3-4 times a month.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Yep, Sta-bil too, and I do fog if I'm not going to be using it for a while. 5 months was kind of a fluke. I should have took my boat swiming in January, - instead I went ice fishing and ran the engine when I got home, while still in the back yard - ear muffs on the engine. She was not happy with me and handed out 4 consecutive skunks earlier this spring to show her displeasure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts