Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

P-line CXX Field Test

878 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Grumpa 
#1 ·
Yes, I know we've discussed the line thing before, but I just had to share this. Was pitching a 3" Power Grub on a 1/8 round head in an inside arm at a west shore Horsetooth cove recently when something grabbed it and took off in a huge flash of gold. I thought either the brownie of a lifetime or...a somewhat lesser esteemed species - last night's rain had muddied the water too much to see. I mean this baby was just ripping line - across the arm into those dead sticky up vertical stems that grew in the shallows of the other side. You know the feeling when the run becomes jerky and slows as the line gets more snagged & tangled and finally stops. I could feel the fish hung up but still on and since full pressure couldn't get back any line decided to run around to the other side of the arm to try and free up some line. Well it kinda worked as I could flip the line off the stems one by one being closer to the snags now. Eventually though the line started coming back too easily indicating the fish was gone. The big surprise was that instead of a shredded bare line there was my jig head still tied to the end. Examining the line for frays & nicks I found nothing major - talk about abrasion resistance! Yellow green P-line X-tra Strong 6# test.

Hmm, maybe Horsetooth doesn't have any brown trout - oh well.

#3 ·
Don, in my opinion the spool memory was not a problem even on an undersized for 6# XT lines Capricorn 2000 spool. A more ideal spool diameter would be the 2500, especially since P-line CXX appears to overtest. With any stiffer line I pay more attention for the occasional loose loop on the bail flip after a cast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.