Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been thinking long and hard about a week long fly fishing pack trip through Rocky Mountain National Park in the late part of June. I have fished lake lanita which is an amazing cuthroat destination and hope to make that part of the tour. However, I am up for any other suggestions of places worth hitting along the way. If anyone is up for it and wants to do some serious hiking and fishing for a week this summer, let me know and maybe we can get a trip in the works. I want to start planning now so I or we can make the most out of the experience. This is all relatively new water that for whatever reason I have yet to explore. Anyway, as always give me your much appreciated thoughts and suggestions. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Sounds like a great trip, I dont think I have time to go with on this one... But I love RMNP, here is a great little map to help plan your trip.

http://www.nps.gov/applications/parks/romo/ppMaps/detailedmap.pdf

You may also want to talk to Kirk Bien of Kirk's Mountain Adventures in Estes Park, he is very knowledgable about RMNP and should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I havnt hiked up there in about 2 years, but there are some good destinations above Fern Lake that hold some nice cutts--- if you are willing to put in the distance.  Check the regs for overnight permits though, it used to be (and still is i think) an area you need to coordinate to stay in overnight.  im not sure about fires either, so you might want to bring along a stove.  if you go up to the higher country plan accordingly, storms blow through there on a regular basis in the afternoons and if you are not careful you might end up dodging lightning bolts and balls of st elmos fire.  ill check my maps, i had some good areas marked...infact i was looking at them just last week, id kind of like to head up there myself to catch some greenbacks or even head to the other side to catch colorado river cutts.  some of the lakes up there are also barren, so its worth looking at some of the recent publications that talk about which bodies of water hold fish or not...

i had good luck up there on just about any terrestrial pattern...so stock up....

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Rottal is right you will need a backcountry permit to camp in certain areas.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Years ago, my son and I hiked from Bear Lake to Grand Lake. The first day is all hike and no fish. The second -fourth day is all down hill and lots of fishing.

The scenery is epic. Apply for a permit now.

Enjoy your trip

B

·
0 Posts
TopSlugger4,

My son and I crossed the park from east to west back in '03. It was a great trip and we did manage some nice greenbacks along the way. We went in early August.

You will need permits for every night you camp in the park and you must camp in designated sites. Only a few sites allow fires. You can apply for the permits beginning on March 1st by phone or you can mail in your request before March 1st (like now). We did the mail-in thing and it worked great. They open the mailed-in requests on the 1st.  The phone thing is a pain because many people are trying to call the morning of the 1st, including outfitters.

The Trails Illustrated map of the park shows all the back-country sites and which ones allow fires. A couple of other rules as far as back-country camping are: No more than 3 nights in one spot and no more than 7 nights (per applicant) in one year. Also, you have to pick up your permit at the backcountry office in person the day you start (that's when you pay the $15 fee-in cash-exact change if you please.)

Your late June start time could be tough, especially this year, given the high snowpack, although that might get you in before the mosquitos wake up. You mentioned Lanita?? If you're talking about Nanita, I've heard stories about submarine sized cutthroats in it and it's neighbor Nakoni.

Wish I could go with you but my time's all taken this year.
Good luck! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts