Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems there aren't a lot of boxing fans on the site, but for any who are, the new Cowboys Stadium in Dallas (Arlington, actually) hosts a fight of real significance tonight.

Manny Pacquiao, the most popular fighter in the sport, is taking on formerly disgraced Antonio Margarito for the WBC super welterweight championship belt.

Here are the main points of interest:

1) Margarito is MUCH bigger than Pac-Man -- in terms of height, weight, & reach. Specifically, Margarito is about 5" taller than Manny, with a six-inch longer reach. He was also 5 lbs. heavier at last night's weigh-in, but that's not even the main story there. By fight-time (after fighters are allowed to rehydrate and bulk up), Margarito is expected to outweigh Pacquiao by much more (like 15 lbs.), since his natural weight is so much heavier than Manny's. (Pacquiao starting boxing professionally at 106 pounds!)

2) Antonio Margarito is a big, always-forward puncher with an impressive KO%. Pacquiao really hasn't faced many if any fighters with AM's style, and some wonder if he can be effective moving backwards under Margarito's relentless advance.

3) Many were surprised that all-world Pacquiao gave Margarito this shot, because (as fight fans know) Margarito was caught before the Mosley fight with an illegal plaster of Paris-type hardening material mixed into his wraps! His claim is that he did not know of it, and that it was all his trainer's doing -- without his knowledge. Many are extremely skeptical of this, and wonder how many other fights of his were similarly tainted. Such a substance could seriously injure or even kill a person in the ring.

4) Finally, this fight is also interesting because of the effect it could have on the event everyone eventually wants to see: Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather. If Margarito upsets Pacquiao tonight, that super-fight could be derailed. Even if it does take place, some of the luster would probably be taken away from it if Manny drops this one.

So there you have it. If anyone would like to add thoughts or predictions, that would be fun. I'm going to pick the phenomenal Manny Pacquiao, who keeps moving up and whacking much bigger opponents. But this is no night off.

And again, if he does win tonight, I personally think that the buildup of public 'demand' will all but force the mega-showdown between Pac-Man and Mayweather, which could be a great one.

Sorry if too long a post. "Let's get ready to rrrrruuummmmmmmbbblllllllllllllllle." :D

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forum member "SxOxS" texted me a little while ago that he's picking Margarito tonight. I jabbed back -- reminding him that he had also predicted Hatton over Manny! ;D We were going to go watch it together at a sports bar & grill, but can't find anywhere that's showing it. :-\ Guess I'll just follow Dan Rafael's round by round tweets @ ESPN.com. Then I'm sure it will get uploaded onto YouTube.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hop, I am also picking Manny. To your second point, I think this is where Margarito will find his demise. He has power and reach, but Manny's unbeleiveable quickness and power will find the holes in Margarito's advancing offense. I don't believe Margarito will have the quickness to cover up after he throws some of his punches and this is when the firestorm that is Manny Pacquiao will be unleashed.

I agree with BG that Mayweather will not fight Manny. Floyd wants to claim he is the best, but he will not fight the best. I think Floyd knows that Pacquiao definitely has all of the tools to beat him. This knowledge is why he will not face him - too much of a risk at losing and tarnishing his career. They both are reasonably considered to be the two best fighters of their time (and perhaps all time), and if Floyd would lose to him it would be a black eye on his career.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hop, Pisco Sour at 8501 E. Colfax (near Quebec and Colfax) is showing the fight - I believe for free. I am heading over to my aunt's house to watch.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BabyHuey said:
Hop, I am also picking Manny. To your second point, I think this is where Margarito will find his demise. He has power and reach, but Manny's unbeleiveable quickness and power will find the holes in Margarito's advancing offense. I don't believe Margarito will have the quickness to cover up after he throws some of his punches and this is when the firestorm that is Manny Pacquiao will be unleashed.

I agree with BG that Mayweather will not fight Manny. Floyd wants to claim he is the best, but he will not fight the best. I think Floyd knows that Pacquiao definitely has all of the tools to beat him. This knowledge is why he will not face him - too much of a risk at losing and tarnishing his career. They both are reasonably considered to be the two best fighters of their time (and perhaps all time), and if Floyd would lose to him it would be a black eye on his career.
Baby Huey, xlnt post! My favorite I've seen of yours. Thanks for your analysis (and yours too, BG). You've got to hand it to Pac-Man for his willingness to take on a hard-hitting giant like Marg. If he executes the way you predict, against such a formidable aggressor, I think his status in the eyes of the boxing public will soar through the stratosphere.

The only point of your post (& Bruce's) where I differ is that I still believe that if that happens, we will finally see the Pacquiao-Mayweather super-fight. The $$$$$$$$$ + FM's EGO + Floyd knowing he'll never live down the "sissy" charge = S-H-O-W-D-O-W-N, baby. ;)

P.S. Oh, just saw your Colfax tip. Thanks, BH. Not sure I can get over there, though.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a pic from the weigh-in, showing the obvious size difference.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Garcia claiming Pacquio had a piece of tape inserted without his camp being able to examimne it. Roach said someone was there from Margaritos camp but if they didn't inspect it, that is there problem. Roach also had a beef that Margarito took efedra (sp?), which os banned in TX. Both camps agreed to drop their insinuations so that the fight can continue. Last undercad fight is in the 5th right now.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
See, that fight before the main event just reminds me why I quit watching boxing. When it goes to the judges, it just ruins the fight. Ill accept 44-44, but in no way did that Jones guy win, 45-44 and 47-43, I don't know what fight they were watching, but it wasnt the same fight I saw.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You watching it on HBO, Green Thumb?

I'm reading Kieren Mulvaney's "Punch-by-Punch Analysis" (LOL) on ESPN's website. Hey, not bad for 2nd best.

Guess both fighters have now entered the ring.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
check your pms hop

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mr. Green Thumb said:
check your pms hop
Gotcha, GT. Thanks to you & Kraz I'm seeing the fight -- first time I've done the online live streaming thing!

As for the fight: Margarito's face is an u-g-l-y mess! However, the big brute will not go down (which doesn't surprise me). Pac's gonna have to keep up the pressure.

Great round 8!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Punishing round 10 for Pacquiao! Margarito's face is pizza. Fantastic how Pac-Man so skillfully slips Marg's assault when back against the ropes (Margarito's only hope).

They might stop this thing.

Bring. on. Pacquiao. Mayweather!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
that little midget is amazing, just amazing

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bruce Gillis said:
PAC Man did his thing. Long drive home now but it was a treat to see the best pound for pound boxer put on a clinic.
Way to man up, Gillis (doesn't surprise me).

I think Pacquiao should now definitely be mentioned as one of the greatest all-time. They were saying that at fight-time tonight Margarito outweighed Manny by 17 pounds ... 17. And look what Pac-Man did to him! It's almost funny (not for poor Marg, I'm sure).

There is only one more mountain to climb -- and everyone knows what that is.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts