Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
NICE----ive caught a few, but they were in private ponds and werent anythig like catching one in public waters....ive only seen one in a river, it was on the Big Thompson and it was about 14 inches long....it stuck out like a sore thumb while laying behind a rock. i didnt figure it would last long, as it was so visible and couldnt hide from any predators...i figured it was from a recent stocking, and it was thrown in as an "extra"...

awesome pic!

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Kewl Mustang...thanks!...I caught some of those in some private lakes up by Red Feather Lakes....I always wondered what they were since they didnt seem to be true albinos...

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
My taxidermist has a couple of those in his gallery room. They where all caught below the outlet of the private lake below stagcoach, can't remember the name of the lake you can see it coming down the pass to steamboat.

·
Registered
513 Posts
First of all it is a nice fish.

Second, these fish are mainly used as a management tool in public waters, and a novelty in private waters. It is the result of crossing recessive genes over and over to get that coloration to express itself as a dominant trait.

Fish and Game agencies use "palamino" or in Utah's case the call it an "albino rainbow" as a tool to "prove" to uneducated anglers that they indeed did stock a body of water. This proof is the simple fact that these fish stick out like a sore thumb a Rottal mentioned. In my opinion they should not be used because if they ever spawn with wild cutthroats or rainbows, then the undesired coloration is expressed in any progeny.

That being said, still a nice fish

·
Registered
943 Posts
i believe we have caught those in wholford

21 - 28 of 28 Posts