Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got on the water about 6am. I was surprised to see very little interest in dry flies, so I tried a bright green bead head nymph and got action quickly, pretty much stayed with it the rest of the day. I think it resembled the damsel fly nymphs they were feeding on. Anyway, I managed a few crappie, a few pumpkinseeds, a handful of golden shiners, a bunch of small bass, & a ton of bluegill. Didn't find any of the big ones I was looking for but the highlight of the day was landing a small bluegill x pumpkinseed hybrid. Had some cool fins (color & size) that didn't show up well in the pic. 4wt was used. Wind was pretty bad after morning. Weeds are coming up thick. Also had a carp break me off.

gill x p-seed hybrid:

some pumpkinseeds:

One of two crappie

Sizeable golden shiner:

A few of the better gills:

And the bigger of all the small bass just to round it out:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
nice mixed bad --- surprised to see a golden shiner -- are they stocked by DOW?
Not sure if they are stocked on some periodic basis, but I would assume they've been stocked at some point as a forage base. I've caught them on both flies & lures, regularly in some waters. I once tied on a small yozuri crank bait that looked like a golden shiner since I knew they were around and wanted to try for a larger bass. First fish I caught on it was a golden shiner! I've also caught them through the ice. Cool fish and fun to catch.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Sweet!

Nice bag o fish!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts