Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody here done any panga fishing in Cabo? If so, any recommendations on boats, guides, etc.?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Yah, Ive been multiple times on Panga's out of Cabo and East Cape.
Tuna, Marlin, Dorado, Wahoo (numero uno), Yellowtail, Spanish Mackerel (Sierra), Roosterfish (Gallo), are a few of the specie's I've caught there. Most of them supply gear but I would bring a 50 lb. outfit that holds several hundred yards of braid and an assortment of 50- 100lb leader material. If the Schools of Sierra are around North it can be great action kind of a saltwater Pike/musky so use a decent size leader. let them know you want to do some casting (they pretty much just troll). I like taking an assortment of different sizes of tube jigs like we use for Lake trout. Other options are live bait for Marlin or Live bait inshore for Roosters. Lots of options speaking some Spanish helps but lot's of Cabo fishermen are fairly good with English. I'll try to dig up some contacts. Get ready to get hooked on saltwater.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
been in a panga out of Cabo 10 times or so. My wife and I would just wander the marina and find a cheap guy to take us out. I always brought my own stuff and caught sierras, roosters, amberjack, bonitos, dorados. just troll rapalas along the shore.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Steve and Mike! That's very helpful.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I will guide you in the ways of zen, booze, food, broken Spanish and baiting hooks. I also have a good eye for prostitutes and the "safe" guy to get "other stuff" from :wink: All I charge is the price of the trip, shoot, I'll even take care of my own food and hookers.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will guide you in the ways of zen, booze, food, broken Spanish and baiting hooks. I also have a good eye for prostitutes and the "safe" guy to get "other stuff" from :wink: All I charge is the price of the trip, shoot, I'll even take care of my own food and hookers.
You're on! Just as soon as that Powerball winner's check arrives. ;D

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Done both deep sea off shore and panga in Cabo. IMHO panga's are a better value and a lot more action, though the fish on deep sea ran bigger (dorado and tuna).

Rooster's are a blast and I got a sailfish on a panga also.

We always ask at the resort for as recommendation on fishing and have not gone wrong.

Everyones advice here is good except maybe Oyey's, though it does sound fun!

Have a great time Don and post up some pics (fish not hooker's).

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys. I've gotten some very helpful info. It was either Cabo or Costa Rica. Cabo looks like better fishing in Feb and early March, which is my time window.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Costa Rica is way better fishing during that time period. I have been both places and little comparison in quantity and quality. CR is way more expensive though. CR and the sailfish are crazy during Jan/Feb

Cabo and panga fishing is great fun though too. Get some live bait direct from the netters to chum around the boat after you get a hookup and then fun will start. I was amazed we got probably 3-400 "minnows"(sardines?) that were 4-8" long for $20.

One tip is to check out the tackle before you commit to a boat. You will see stuff from 1970 to the latest Penn reels so check them out. The one thing that is prevalent on the pangas is that the tackle is seldom light. I took along salt water trolling baits and the guys were very grateful for the extra tackle that I left.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips. Still working on it.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Old thread but new relavant info.

Just got back from La Paz, which is up the coast from Cabo. Having fished both, I can tell you I probably won't consider fishing Cabo again, unless it's to do the Bixbee; (not likely).

Fished with three guys from Denver, two fishing buddies and my nephew. We had fished Alaska together two years ago. La Paz was one third the price and ten times fishing man-points: Out all day in Pangas with local Mexican captains who mostly speak only Spanish. They are all related and have been fishing for generations. Live local or boat caught bait. Drift fishing dead shrimp in the current along with chum for football sized or better Tuna. Also caught Needlefish, Bonito, and Dorado. Some trolling for Dorado. Epic days with most bringing back best numbers and quality of the last three or four seasons, we're told by locals. Primitive equipment, no life vests. Some radios worked, some didn't. No sonor fishfinders. Eating fat piles of freshcaught sushimi make by our captain onboard on the way back to the beach. Three star hotels for fishermen, comfortable enough and seemed safe. Lots of Margaritas and cervesas. We ate most of our meals at Tailhunters Cantina. Trip was set up through Jonathan Roldan's "Talihunters International."

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Old thread but new relavant info.

Just got back from La Paz, which is up the coast from Cabo. Having fished both, I can tell you I probably won't consider fishing Cabo again, unless it's to do the Bixbee; (not likely).

Fished with three guys from Denver, two fishing buddies and my nephew. We had fished Alaska together two years ago. La Paz was one third the price and ten times fishing man-points: Out all day in Pangas with local Mexican captains who mostly speak only Spanish. They are all related and have been fishing for generations. Live local or boat caught bait. Drift fishing dead shrimp in the current along with chum for football sized or better Tuna. Also caught Needlefish, Bonito, and Dorado. Some trolling for Dorado. Epic days with most bringing back best numbers and quality of the last three or four seasons, we're told by locals. Primitive equipment, no life vests. Some radios worked, some didn't. No sonor fishfinders. Eating fat piles of freshcaught sushimi make by our captain onboard on the way back to the beach. Three star hotels for fishermen, comfortable enough and seemed safe. Lots of Margaritas and cervesas. We ate most of our meals at Tailhunters Cantina. Trip was set up through Jonathan Roldan's "Talihunters International."
NICE !!
Reminds Me of My "circa 1970" trips down to Mazatlan, PV and San Jose...

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Correction now that I'm awake: We used sardines, not shrimp. Some captains used live, other dead. They were all cousins, grandfathers, uncles or nephews of the captains we had fished with previously and each insisted that the others didn't know WTF they were doing. ;D Really interesting seeing and using all the different techniques. Next time I go I'll be sure to bring along my own 25-30 lb flouro leader as not all captains used it, and I do think using flouro improved the catch rate on the tuna.

I used to like going to PV, never made it to Mazatlan or San Jose. I had pretty much given up on the idea of ever going back to Mexico with all the news of crime everywhere, but I have to say Baja felt pretty safe. And at 18/1 it was very affordable. I'll try to post some pics later.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Flouro leaders will always get bit better, the little schoolies will bite anything while larger tuna can be very line shy.
Last time I was there we caught small yellowfin on sardines then chummed them and used chunks for 50-100lbers

1 - 20 of 34 Posts