Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is the transom mount down view. Awesome for mapping, interesting/fun for jigging, drift fishing or down rigger trolling. Anyone else using one?

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure you will like it. I am surprised no one is using one, maybe they are, but they are not saying...

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm sure you will like it. I am surprised no one is using one, maybe they are, but they are not saying...
Have watched a few video's, panoptix seems to be the real deal. I am not using one, out of my league currently.

What ducer/model are you using? How does it compare to what you were using in regards to sonar returns and mapping etc?

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
o
Have watched a few video's, panoptix seems to be the real deal. I am not using one, out of my league currently.

What ducer/model are you using? How does it compare to what you were using in regards to sonar returns and mapping etc?
I have the down version, PS30. I transfer it from my colorado boat to my big pond boat (Lake Superior) when in the UP. As far as sonar returns, it's not as clean/clear as a quality 50-200 hz transducer, the return is a bit blurry (look at youtube), but you can see where or which side of the boat the fish is on, see down rigger balls, and lures or jigs, watch the fish approach the bait, come up off bottom, flee the boat, etc. You can see the slope or structure of the bottom and fish at any depth along that slope, top or bottom. You get 6 different pings out to each side of the boat (12 total) for each vertical mapping ping, rather then one vertical ping on other live bottom mapping units. It is way different than side scan. I have a Hummingbird 998SI, Garmin echomap 93sv/GT30 on my colorado boat, a Lowrance HDS 8 side scan on another , a Lowrance HDI 7 and Garmin 7610xsv with GT-50 side scan on my bigger lake superior boat.

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
After reading this thread I investigated the Panoptix and wanting to upgrade myself this season I headed to BPS in the Springs yesterday to get the new Lowrance Hook2-9. After talking to the salesman and playing with the different units I am switching to Garmin, impressive units! I loved the Panoptix, their version of down scan and side scan is a more clear view and the 13,000 lakes on the Lake-Vu card beats the 3,000 lakes by Lowrance. I got the Echomap Chirp 94SV with the Panoptix PS22-TR transducer that is down/forward view. The Garmin unit is on sale right now for about half off, $1100 unit for $599...win! The Panoptix PS22 transducer was $999, comes with the trolling motor shaft bracket. Also with the sale going on I got and extra $100.00 off the unit for using my BPS card, had a coupon for 500 extra bonus points plus $250.00 in gift cards...WIN! Review of the unit will come this spring! THX Terri! :biggrin1:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/529894
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/599991

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
here's a great video on how the Panoptix Real-Vu really works...

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Seems awesome, but I suspect the reason more folks aren't using them is cost. Sweeeet unit though

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
I disagree J. The HDS-9 Carbon is $2200.00, the Elite-9 roughly $1000.00 and Hook2-9 about $799.00 and all have been having overheating problems,screen locking up and CS has gone in the dumps as of late. The Bird Solix 10 is $2200.00, Helix-9 MEGA about $1300.00. None of these have Panoptix and if they did the cost would be a lot more. Work it right, compare all the costs per unit and you can manage the cost of the Garmin with Panoptix like I did to get the whole purchase for $1300.00.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
$1,300 is a LOT for one unit, regardless of choice! I think you just proved my point lol. Pretty sure not many on here are running any of the units you mentioned either. By the way, I sold my mega and went to the 10" Gen 2 Helix for around $700... IMO that's a far more reasonable range. I am impressed with the garmin for sure, but I think $1300 still eliminates a lot of fishermen from consideration.

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
I think you would be surprised how many use the not so cheap units, I see a lot of the higher end units on boats now days. Gotta pay to play!!! LOL! and like I said the Helix doesn't have Panoptix, if it did it would have been a grand more.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exactly Pikester! Between the two boats I have equipped with the two garmin units, I have poured 5500 down the drain. But I was an early adapter. Much less expensive to wait. The other companies will probably release competition pretty soon.

Having said that, I now have detailed maps of several reefs on lake superior that are 60 miles from my house, 120 gallon round trip - 400+ dollars of fuel days. Parts of several colorado lakes (pretty quickly while fishing) What is that worth?

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Right on Teri! The Quickdraw Contours mapping was another big selling point for me. Map while fishing and have the contours and shading right on your machine instantly, no Genesis or any other hard to use programs to upload to. The maps are mine without having to share with the world with ease of access right away!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will be interested to know if the forward facing transducer uses one down sensor or multiple directional sensors to create the map. The down transducer creates the map using 12 sensors simultaneously. IE, the depth contours are recorded and mapped to each side of your boat. You can run along a structure and map the whole thing in one pass - both much shallower then you are running, and much deeper.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
My fish finder is on the end of my line. It's called a lure! Ever heard of one? My depth finder is on the end of my line. It's called a lure! Ever hear of one? Drop it to the bottom and count reel handle turns times by 2.5-3' per turn and you know the depth.

Screw technology one of these days the sunspots will kill all electronics on the earth then what will you do?

Bwahahaha-

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
UH HUH! And that Lowrance on the dash of your boat is just a sun dial? >:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Two years ago got rid of my lowrances as they would freeze up and would require hard boots everytime. Got rid of them and went to humminbird. At the time, bbg marine had a killer price on the humminbird 1159 and gave me even more off for being a member of a fishing forum i was on and additional for military, also bought a helix 7. I will say the discontinued 1159 is a great unit and alot more easy to tune than the helix. My retired friend has the new garmins and without a doubt that is what i will be going to next. I also recommend anyone looking to purchase new units to get a quote by calling brian at bbg marine, they had great prices even before my additional discounts. I will definitely be contacting bbg when i am ready to pull the trigger on downriggers if i have the need for them more than twice a year.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts