Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect i will be unhappy with the response, but can anybody comment on the current conditions at the Lone Buck campground near Parshall? All this spring weather on the Front Range has me thinking about pulling my pop-up over there for some camping and fishing, but I suspect Parshall snow and mud conditions may argue against this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Brad, the road in and out stays fairly solid, mostly rock as you know. Night time temps are a bit nippy (20's).
As for the fishing, I was there last Fri. and Sat. and the warmer weather and releases had turned the Co. brown. I hiked into WmFork and it was milky green. Not sure why. The res above is still iced, so I don't think it had to do with lake turnover. Watch the weather, if there are a few cold days the fishing could be good, think snow flurries.

·
Registered
595 Posts
oldfrat said:
I suspect i will be unhappy with the response, but can anybody comment on the current conditions at the Lone Buck campground near Parshall? All this spring weather on the Front Range has me thinking about pulling my pop-up over there for some camping and fishing, but I suspect Parshall snow and mud conditions may argue against this.

Thanks!
Oldfrat, you just gave me an excuse to step out of the office right when I was looking for one. Stand by for 15 minutes.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The road down into Lone Buck is fine, just a little water running along it. Still ~1 foot of snow in the roadbed and shady areasat the bottom, going east toward the campsites. Nobody's driven it yet. Pretty sloppy at the bottom. There's room for 1-2 vehicles to park right at the bottom of the hill but that's about it. I almost got stuck turning around.
The road down into the Paul Gilbert is still closed with quite a bit of snow in the trees. It'll be a while yet before that opens up.
Depending on what you're camping in, the Beaver Creek unit is doable in a couple spots, if you're not opposed to camping among mud puddles. I wouldn't attempt it in a tent yet by any means. The west-facing campsites there aren't too bad.
The river's cranking along pretty good but cleared up nicely last night. Clarity is surprisingly decent today.
We're supposed to get snow tonight, possibly 1-2".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts