Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished Parvin Lake early Sun morning.  Was very cold and windy.  Ice in the coves.  Was unsucessful flyfishing.   Went to Dowdy and fished for about 1 1/2 hrs around noon and caught about 15 rainbows and browns btw 10 to 12".  All fish were caught from shore just south of the dam.  Used a black bead head wooley bugger with a #14 hares ear nymph dropper.  They hit both equally.  Feels like ice fishing is just around the corner!   John

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: Parvin & Dowdy Lakes (Red Feather area)

Nice report John. I've had really good luck up at dowdy this time of year when the ice starts to form. Larger Browns tend to hang in the cove east of the dam structure (shallow). The problem is keeping the rainbows off to get to them...

I haven't seen any spelling corrections from you lately - I guess I'm doing OK ;)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Basshunter: small "d" on Dowdy doesn't quite cut it. John

F

·
0 Posts

I noticed some ice forming on the edges of a few lakes up there last night.

·
Registered
935 Posts

John said:
I fished Parvin Lake early Sun morning.  Was very cold and windy.  Ice in the coves.  Was unsucessful flyfishing.   Went to Dowdy and fished for about 1 1/2 hrs around noon and caught about 15 rainbows and browns btw 10 to 12".  All fish were caught from shore just south of the dam.  Used a black bead head wooley bugger with a #14 hares ear nymph dropper.  They hit both equally.  Feels like ice fishing is just around the corner!   John
Sounds like Dowdy was recently stocked for the winter ice fishing.  You generally won't have the same luck at Parvin, because it's managed differently, but what you catch will likely be bigger and stronger on average than a Dowdy fish (except those big Browns in Dowdy). On the other hand, I have had a couple of many fish days on Parvin - all bigger fish.

·
Registered
24,634 Posts
I love to ice fish Parvin...they need to patrol it more though...most of the nimrods who fish it use bait...

·
Registered
935 Posts
I've found a few salmon egg jars out there while ice fishing.  It's always tricky to know what to do, because you don't want to leave them there, but you also don't want to pick them up and get a ticket for possessing bait there.  I run into people using plastic baits that are technically not allowed, too - like scented/flavored baits, or soft plastics under 1.5".  My game warden friend tells me those are technically classified as "bait" by in Colorado.  I wish they would simplify the artificial lures classification.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Cutthroat said:
I run into people using plastic baits that are technically not allowed, too - like scented/flavored baits, or soft plastics under 1.5". My game warden friend tells me those are technically classified as "bait" by in Colorado. I wish they would simplify the artificial lures classification.
Scented or flavored plastics are not "BAIT" until Jan 1, 2006... Then on Jan 1, 2006 soft plastics under 1.5" will be legal to use as long as they are unscented, but until Jan 1, 2006 plastics under 1.5" are still illegal.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey!! Wats the mater with "wooley"!! Look it up on the innernet. There even a club named for it:

Wooley Bugger Fly Fishers, Inc. **
Contact - Michael Mulvahill, President
721 W. Washington St.
Howell, MI 48843
Phone - (517)552-0377
E-Mail - [email protected]

Man, you owe me a pology. John

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
John,

I'll certainly apologize for taking up space to post something so silly and trivial, but not on the spelling.

Correct spelling is "woolly", and Merriam-Webster agrees on that. However, fishermen tend to be notoriously bad spellers, and you can find "wooley bugger" in hundreds of places on the internet, in addition to the instance you cited. You can also find an equal number of places where "woolly bugger" is spelled correctly.

I promise to try to set a better example by not nit-picking about anyone's spelling in the future.

W. E.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Walking Eagle: I'm just joking with you. I'm kind of anal about spelling so I can't always control myself. But you're right, it is kind of a waste of time "worrying" about such things. John

·
Registered
943 Posts
i hope we don't start spell checking here because i will never be allowed to post ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts