Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long, tough contract in Alaska over the winter, I was excited to get back in Colorado and revert to my obsessive fishing behaviors. The plan was simple, find a cheap motel with a monthly rate near prime walleye water for the month of March so that I could get my first teener 'eye. As usual in the trophy fish game, it didn't take long for the excitement to fade. I fished 7 consecutive nights with only a skinny 26.5" fish to show for. By no means was I surprised by such results, but it definitely didn't make grinding out the hours any easier.

Last night I was amazingly close to not hitting the water. I just was not feeling it. I sat in my dumpy motel, where the heater is broken, the bathtub leaks after showers, and the microwave they gave me has no interior plate. As I was contemplating what exactly it is I am doing with my life, a motel employee who just got done serving 8 years in prison informs me the wifi still doesn't work (3rd straight day) because the owner who got taken in by the cops for beating his girlfriend (4 days ago) had forgotten to pay the bill. I realize that I am putting up with this for one thing: fishing. No reason I should take a night off, so I head out into the darkness.

I was pleased to have the company of another vampire for the first hour or so, but when he had to take off, I decided to move spots and give the 8 inch Huddleston a quick rinse. On my third cast I felt the unmistakable shock in my wrist of a bait hitting the back of a throat. Before long I was in amazement as I looked at my new PB walleye: 31.5 inches and 14.22 lbs.

She absolutely CRUSHED the Hudd, and with how small it looked in her mouth, I wondered if maybe I need to start throwing the 10 inch. >:D

As most of you know the stress of catching a big fish by yourself can be overwhelming. I worked quickly to get a pic, measure, and then weigh. I was concerned though because from the moment I landed her until I was finished, she was extremely docile, even by walleye standards. I was worried maybe she wasn't doing too good but was pleasantly surprised when she immediately took off like a rocket down the shore on the release.

Earlier in the night I was joking with my buddy about how expensive trophy fish pics are when you account for everything (gas, lodging, equipment, time lost, food, etc.) We both agreed it was best not to know the exact price of each fish pic :D. All I know is that there could not have been a price too steep to experience this fish. It was also pretty amazing that I got her on a full moon at the crack of midnight, almost like a Disney channel movie ending ;D. Good luck to everyone else this spring, happy fishing!

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
It's interesting man, the grind... It's so hard to stay in that mode when the fishing is just beating you down, but feels so damn good when you get the payoff.

Well done. And congrats on the teen Colorado 'eye, man. That's no small feat. I still have yet to crest the 10# mark, and I'm a decent enough eye fisherman.

Always appreciate your reports. :thumb:

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Super sick man....never dont go.

...now that you have that out of the way.........how about lets go catch a 10lb bass? ;)

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Damn! Not a walleye dude but well done!
Hard to throw a 8" hudd for hours and hours

·
Registered
936 Posts
WHOA!!! I've been waiting to see some supersized walleye from you after you said your were back. Congrats on that dinasour!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Congrats on your new PB -- you deserve it! You are going to have a hard time topping this one though! ;D

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Well, that's one way to do it! I heard a song sung by a gypsy drifter about a man in a motel for the month of March on a walleye mission. I wasn't sure that it was true. But here you are, and there she is. Congrats, you are one dedicated angler. Be sure to hit the bars now where the women will be impressed!

:biggrin1:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Nice!! Way to grind it out. Sure makes me glad I can sleep in my own bed at night. Even after a night of grinding.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I was just trying to lift your hopes with the "you will prolly leap that 12lb mark and stick a 14." :eek:

Every feat in life involves hard work to "get paid". None more obvious than the dollar, and the pursuits an outdoorsman ventures into. I respect your vigor for the underwater world, and the goals that come with your passion to understand it better.

I am truly astounded by your catch. Its one I will never likely achieve due to lack of desire.

Great write up, my friend. Keep at it, maybe you can stick a phantom 20# and be in the record books.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Well, that's one way to do it! I heard a song sung by a gypsy drifter about a man in a motel for the month of March on a walleye mission. I wasn't sure that it was true. But here you are, and there she is. Congrats, you are one dedicated angler. Be sure to hit the bars now where the women will be impressed!

:biggrin1:
Marshall tucker bands put it in a love song just popped into my head as I was reading this

·
Registered
427 Posts
Amazing fish, supernatural dedication! WTG

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
SCHWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!! Congrats man!

#neverdontgo

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Yet another Hudd-smokin' walleye!

Super stoked for you CK, super stoked!

I know how much time you put into this pursuit and it is totally paying off. Welcome to the "Teener Club"! And yes, I think you should start throwing big baits - no more 8" snacks! You want to throw one of these 13" Dead Twitch's

Actually, who am I to tell you what to throw - you're the one on an amazing run of big fish. You ought to be telling me what to throw (or, first, to actually get out there and fish).

There's a new vampire sheriff in town, and his name is CadenceKing!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts