Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out this weekend in search of some laker fun. Saturday was a slower day for catching. Had fish come thru on the vex every 5-15 minutes, I just couldn't figure out what they wanted. I used tubes, kasty's, other glow spoons, jigs, etc. Ended the day with 2 on the ice. I had fun tho so I said screw it and planned on going out again on Sunday. Went a little farther out than I did the day before and found a flat that was 80-90 feet that dropped off to about 120. Immediately had the same problem as the day before. Fish coming in and out. They did at least like the white tube and had a few hits on it. Active fish were suspended around 40 ft. Glad I had the vex. As the day wore on, the fishing slowed and I was growing annoyed. I glanced down at the vex to see another fish come in. This was a bigger fish tho. Took up 2 feet on the vex! Chased my tube down and the cat and mouse game was on. Took about 3 minutes but she finally took it. The hook set was good and I got her coming up. About 20 ft off the bottom she said screw you and took about 50ft of line as she swam away. No fight just slowly pulled the drag out. My heart is now racing! 5 minutes later I finally see her flash down the hole and she is HUGE! Now my hands and feet are shaking. Finally get her to the bottom of the ice and she still wont give in. Get her up the hole and on the ice and this is what I have to show for it.

She is over 30" long and 10" tall. My guess was 15 lbs.
Got a few good pics...no selfies with her tho. Then got her back in the water.

The release pic.
I have a video as well but im not sure how to upload it. Hope you enjoy the pics!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I do have to say, though... That's quite a feat on a light trout rod!!! Bet that sucker was bent 180 degrees!!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks yall! A great fish with a lot of fight still left. Speaking to the rods, I get a little carried away and like having alot of variety. I had 8 or 9 rods with me that day. I have lighter ones for the smaller guys and then 4 med-heavy and heavy rods. I don't think I would have landed this one on a smaller rod. It was swimming in circles and ran me across the bottom of the ice the whole time. The line popped off of the ice a few times and made my heart drop. I was using the med-heavy 30" rod with 8 lb floro. The lake will stay with me for now. Don't think there will be a mad rush to this lake but don't want to push it. There does seem to be plenty of forage tho that is for sure. Don't know if this is a younger fish or not but it has a really small head compared to the rest of the body.

·
P I K E
10,113 Posts
Beast for sure!!! Congrats!!!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
SWEEEEEET! NICE JOB SIR

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
wow what a chunk...nice work!...might be a koke lake...not Granby thats for sure...

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
wow what a chunk...nice work!...might be a koke lake...not Granby thats for sure...
Granby has never had growth like that but some of the smaller lakes in the area have no Mysis shrimp, an abundance of nutrients from all the cattle land in the river valleys, get just as many or more rainbows stocked in much smaller waters, are loaded with suckers and the Kokanee that are left are full of gill lice.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts