Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I volunteered to help out with the spring fishing derby at Afs today. It was a long day that started at 545. The derby and decontamination and prizes and stuff weren't even done until like 2 roughly so my buddy and I probably started fishing around 3. I got probably six or seven pike on a spoon. None of them were giants but they were nice sized. I'll post pics of them once I get them from my buddy. So, after catching a decent amount of pike, my buddy and I started heading back to the cars. We ended up stopping a bunch of times and probably said "last cast" on 20 different occasions. I ended up getting a pretty nice pike on the fly. I stripped the streamer in and right as I was about to pull it out of the water, a pike lunged at it and grabbed it. He was probably 27 inches or so and put up a good fight. At this point I was pretty much done. I was satisfied and ready to leave. But, my buddy wanted to try casting my fly rod so I grabbed his spinning rod and started chucking a spoon again. On one of my casts, I casted as far as I could and let the spoon sink for a few seconds. Before I could even count to five as it was sinking to the bottom, my line just started pulling out. Something hit the spoon on the drop. Long story short I landed the fish and it made my day. Well, more like my week! Haha. I'll post more pics shortly but for now this'll do. 43 inches. About 17.5lbs.

·
Registered
592 Posts
What a beast!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Sweet fish man
Throw any swimbaits out there?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
NICE!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Congratulations on an awesome fish - nothing better than making 1 o 2 or 20 last casts! That's the biggest pike to be caught at that lake in a couple of years - glad to see that there are still some big ones. Did she have a tag in her?

Next year, take the plunge and roll swimbait heavy! :wink:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Congratulations on an awesome fish - nothing better than making 1 o 2 or 20 last casts! That's the biggest pike to be caught at that lake in a couple of years - glad to see that there are still some big ones. Did she have a tag in her?

Next year, take the plunge and roll swimbait heavy! :wink:
i was going to fish swimbaits exclusively but before the volunteers got to fish, I locked all my stuff in my car. I was bummed cuz I had been looking forward to it for a while. So, all I had was my fly rod which I had grabbed to do a little maintenance and C's spinning rod which he was letting me use. After everything was said and done, C drove me to get my spare key. I didn't see a tag but I wasnt really looking. Most of the pike that I caught did, though.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Nice fish! that last cast saying gets me in trouble with the other half sometimes, but when stuff like this happens it's worth it!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts