Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i haven't really fished in awhile because I decided to try carving, building, and painting my own swimbaits. I finally got a chance to test a few of them out and had a good day for a couple hours in the dog days of summer.. After getting more of these done they will be for sale..
My smallie went 21.5" and 4 lb 10 oz and like I said it is My PB smallie and it came on a swimbait I made in perch color!! I also got a decent largie on my very first rat that I also made..

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
That is impressive!!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man, it's been fun carving and build for sure...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Nice fish. All that planning,carving, planning,sanding,painting, paid off big. Shoot me a pm anytime, I'd take one when they're available

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here are some of the baits I have currently made. I am hand carving these out of wood finishing and swim testing, then I reproduce with plastic resin for durability.

Currently working on 3 different rats

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those are awesome! How much work goes into one on average?
It takes about 2 hours to carve and sand then you have to seal the wood, so it gets a 2 hour bath, and then it will rest for 24 hours. Then it gets weighted and epoxied. Then the epoxy needs about 12 hours to cure. Then paint and clear coat, depends on what kind of clear coat it can take another 12 hours to cure...so about 2-3 days per lure.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good ****, dog! I knew those would be badass when you fished them! Can't wait to see the results of the pike bait!
Thanks Bruh, I'm gonna do baby pike in pike and musky color, and others like trout carp and any other color that will catch fish.. Haha

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
What a cool hobby. Those bait look really good. I especially like the job you did on the perch pattern. Throwing a little bit of orange on the belly is money!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Damn, those are sick! PB on one of em is badass. That bum Shaun Soloman should take some notes.
Hah thanks Cammo! It's not about making a perfect bait it's about making the bait perfect enough to fish, but the time making them is very enjoyable for me! Now my son in law is carving too so we can make them available to anyone.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pm me if anyone is interested...I don't know the rules on selling stuff here and don't want to step on anyone's toes..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts