Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a little time between study sessions today so I decided to go out and fish a little. I got to the lake and decided id fish the bigger stuff so I just grabbed my swimbait setup and got to it. I had a slow sink bbz1 junior in sexy lavender shad tied on and then a Hudd 8 deluxe in my pocket. Within fifteen minutes, I had my first fish. For you bass bums out there this isn't really that impressive but I was pretty stoked! Definitely my best smallie to date. Again, I hardly fish bass so this guy made my day! And on a sb to boot!

I kept throwing the bbz1 junior and within fifteen more minutes, I had two more very respectable smallies. While the last two were not as big as the first, they were all bigger than any I've caught before. I then decided to try the Huddleston deluxe 8 which I threw for probably a half hour with no luck before calling it a day. Definitely a sweet hour of fishing, though.

I'm definitely "hooked" on swimbaits now. I have a gan craft jointed claw 178 coming in the mail on Wednesday that I cannot wait to test out!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Congrats on your PB smallie and on your first swimbait fish - beware - once you get the sickness, it's hard to go back...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
That's the exact same rod that I bought to throw swimbaits! Went with a larger low-profile reel though. Got a few things coming in from TW this week and bought a couple of swimbaits from hooknline. Maiden voyage out this week sometime!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That's the exact same rod that I bought to throw swimbaits! Went with a larger low-profile reel though. Got a few things coming in from TW this week and bought a couple of swimbaits from hooknline. Maiden voyage out this week sometime!
You made a good choice. The rod was recommended to me by a swimbait guy and I couldn't be more happy with it. Since then I've noticed that a lot of the swimbait guys use them and really like then.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
What reel did you go with? Curado?
I actually went with a BPS low-profile. Their latest one. I was gonna go with a Daiwa but this was a better deal financially. LOL I hate fishing. No I don't. I just hate buying gear. Not really. My wife hates it though. LOL

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What reel did you go with? Curado?
I actually went with a BPS low-profile. Their latest one. I was gonna go with a Daiwa but this was a better deal financially. LOL I hate fishing. No I don't. I just hate buying gear. Not really. My wife hates it though. LOL
I feel ya man. Except for the wife part. I sold a really nice rifle I had to help support my fishing habit.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I feel ya man. Except for the wife part. I sold a really nice rifle I had to help support my fishing habit.
The day that I have to sell a toy to buy a toy... That's when I know I have a problem! Ha ha

Wife doesn't care... Just shakes her head when a TW box is on the porch!

Next time you head out, let me know! Spooling up my reel tomorrow but lures don't get here till Thursday! FML.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Nice! :thumb: Now, go drop a grand on swimbaits. :D

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The day that I have to sell a toy to buy a toy... That's when I know I have a problem! Ha ha

Wife doesn't care... Just shakes her head when a TW box is on the porch!

Next time you head out, let me know! Spooling up my reel tomorrow but lures don't get here till Thursday! FML.
I'm a full time student with little income right now and I just felt like I would get way more use out of some new fishing gear than the gun I rarely use. Ah, priorities! Plus I needed some ne waders.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i thought you were moving into the woods and never coming back? Please feel free to do so!
Bwahaha! Touche... See this guy: http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/4-buy-sell/120377-swimbaits.html

He prolly had $5-10K invested on swimbaits at some point.
Well I don't have anything close to that unfortunately. I've always liked collecting lures but I really only have six or seven swimbaits at this point and most are about $20. So, based on that, I would assume you have more in sbs than me at this point! I just think swimbaits are really cool and fun to fish. I'm an eclectic fisherman though so I do it all and don't really plan on going too all out in any one category. I need money for my fly fishing and spin fishing adventures as well.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Well I don't have anything close to that unfortunately. I've always liked collecting lures but I really only have six or seven swimbaits at this point and most are about $20. So, based on that, I would assume you have more in sbs than me at this point! I just think swimbaits are really cool and fun to fish. I'm an eclectic fisherman though so I do it all and don't really plan on going too all out in any one category. I need money for my fly fishing and spin fishing adventures as well.
Actually, I probably don't have any more swimbaits than you. I think I have maybe a dozen +. All I was saying is that it can be an expensive addiction. Don't read too much into it. I think swimbaits have their time and place. Some people stick with them and do well. It takes dedication and a penchant/taste for exuberance. They do it for the "insanity" as Doc puts it. It's a healthy insanity if you are willing to commit to them and catch fish. If they are just sitting, I'm inclined to think that it's an unhealthy insanity. You will find out for yourself if it's for you. So far, it's not quite my thing.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Actually, I probably don't have any more swimbaits than you. I think I have maybe a dozen +. All I was saying is that it can be an expensive addiction. Don't read too much into it. I think swimbaits have their time and place. Some people stick with them and do well. It takes dedication and a penchant/taste for exuberance. They do it for the "insanity" as Doc puts it. It's a healthy insanity if you are willing to commit to them and catch fish. If they are just sitting, I'm inclined to think that it's an unhealthy insanity. You will find out for yourself if it's for you. So far, it's not quite my thing.
Wasn't reading into it. Just making conversation. So far I love it! It's just fun! But who knows? Six months from now I could be over it. And I definitely have been getting use out of them. Just not as much as I'd like with school going on. If you ever see a guy with a fly rod, spinning rod and swimbait rod kicking around in a float tube, it's probably me! Haha. Thanks for the perspective.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts