Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im headed down to brazil this spring and wanted to hear some tips on catching some peacock bass from any of you experienced with them. I know absolutely nothing about them. where do they hang out? what lures should i use? how do they taste (i'll only be keeping one a day for dinner on the boat)? ill be on the rio negro and the amazon.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
The "WOODCHOPPER" has been a go to for many people chasing monster peacocks. They actually have a few hanging in the SW here in town!! If it were me I would be taking big wake baits, swim baits and buzz baits.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
I am mass jealous. I have seen shows from those guys catching peacock bass....and it looks like MASS fun. Topwater would be all I use! Or swimbaits!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Lucky dog!

Check tackletour.... They just went down there and had lots of good tips.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Rio Negro is on my bucket list. i would go to Larry Dahlberg's webiste and get his take on what tackle to bring, I would be willing to bet that guy has caught as many if not more peacocks than any other resident of the U.S.
http://www.purpledesert.net/asklarry/viewforum.php?f=5
He is pretty quick to answer questions.

I did a fly swap with a guy in Florida this winter, he sent these pics shortly after.

So, I still haven't got to fish for them... but at least I have tied a fly that ended up stuck in a few of them!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I fished down there once and really anything big. Key is finding them or sit back and try and spot them chasing bait. We got them on Zara spook's,rattle traps, big sassy shads, big bucktails and the old relialble live bait free lined.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Speargun.... Works everytime! :D
lol except that the water clarity is only good enough to see about a 1/4 of an inch...not to mention im not jumping in that water with crocodiles and anacondas.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Take some frogs, I know a guy that went down there a couple of years ago, he said for him it was tough fishing when using the big prop baits, so he switched to frogs a whacked them. Hopefully you don't get the squirts like he did!!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bassboy said:
Take some frogs, I know a guy that went down there a couple of years ago, he said for him it was tough fishing when using the big prop baits, so he switched to frogs a whacked them. Hopefully you don't get the squirts like he did!!
i have a frog but i've honestly never caught a fish on it. any tips on using them?

·
Registered
978 Posts
FPF said:
bassboy said:
i have a frog but i've honestly never caught a fish on it. any tips on using them?
With bass you give them a second to take it then set the hook hard, should be the same with peacock. You might take more than 1 cuz there is toothy fish down there that will destroy a rubber bait. Hopefully they'll hit the big baits for you so you don't have to worry about that.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Trout said:
I fished down there once and really anything big. Key is finding them or sit back and try and spot them chasing bait. We got them on Zara spook's,rattle traps, big sassy shads, big bucktails and the old relialble live bait free lined.
A frog? Better purchase some Snag proof brand Frogzillas! Those fish dont play fair! A friend of mine went down with twelve dozen 3/4 oz rattle traps. He returned with 4! (not 4 dozen). He ended up soldering the split rings so that He didnt get his feelings hurt so much.

I have to agree with trout. The key word is Big. Once you have thought big, stop for a minute, and go even bigger with your lure choices. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
discloco said:
Trout said:
A frog? Better purchase some Snag proof brand Frogzillas! Those fish dont play fair! A friend of mine went down with twelve dozen 3/4 oz rattle traps. He returned with 4! (not 4 dozen). He ended up soldering the split rings so that He didnt get his feelings hurt so much.

I have to agree with trout. The key word is Big. Once you have thought big, stop for a minute, and go even bigger with your lure choices. Good luck.
how did he lose them all? should i be using some steel leaders of something then? i honestly know nothing of these fish except that look awesome!

·
Registered
978 Posts
NO steel leader, you will lose some baits for sure but it's worth it to not us a leader. Just be sure to use heavy, heavy equipment, and make sure to check your line often and retie when needed. You'll be amazed how much a 5lb fish will fight down there, we have nothing like that here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts