Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the low down/consensus on Peak vises. I like that they are a local company, and the prices are in my range. Are they a decent quality vise?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So are you saying good things about Peak, or bad things about Renzetti?

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I have one, I've tied everything from size 28 up to size 5/0 with it(default jaw, not the specialized jaws). Only drawback is the jaw is not adjustable vertically to bring the hook shank to center for the rotary function. Otherwise, it's great!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
We use them in our project healing waters tying classes, good vises and hold up to alot of abuse.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, I have a friend that had something break on a Renzetti when it was still almost new. He got it replaced, and it has been fine since, but he had to pay for the shipping on the replacements parts. Not exactly what I would call good customer service.

I think I will go with the Peak unless someone tells me has a good reason not to.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I started with the BPS tying kit vise, which was pretty terrible. I got a good deal in a peak rotary vise and it's great. I've been tying (really) for about a year. My only complaint is that since I got the rotary vise, the rotary part of it gets in the way for holding materials on the hook. That's true with any rotary vise though, vs the non-rotary counterpart. After tying on it for a while though, I've figured out how to work around it.

If you're concerned about quality, don't be. Peak makes some great quality stuff. If you wanted to check them out before you buy, they can be found at about any fly shop along the front range.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
720fly said:
I got a mongoose, and returned it the next day
get a 720
What was wrong with the mongoose? That's a Griffin right?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought my Peak several years ago. It has worked well for me. I did have one experience with service. I called them about replacing a midge jaw. I think I damaged it so I just wanted to order one and pay for it. When I talked to them and explained what I wanted to do, they insisted that I send them the damaged one and they sent me a new one-no charge. Great customer service!! I have only one complaint (and I think this goes for all true rotary vises) when I tie parachute style flies and use rotary hackle pliers, the rotary stem gets in the way. I either tilt the fly down in the jaws or get out my old Thompson A and use it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Silver said:
720fly said:
I got a mongoose, and returned it the next day
get a 720
What was wrong with the mongoose? That's a Griffin right?
very uncomfortable, pretty sure it was a peak. If not I still bought a peak and was not impressed. what a few more $$$$ for something you will charish? 720 all the way

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I don't own a Peak, but may some day because of the only experience I had with them... I bought a trash recepticle that fits on the post of my vice... This was made by peak and fit on my DynaKing... Well, they have instructions on how to put this thing on your post which I did not follow. I broke the plastic piece that clings to the post. I called them and asked if I could buy just that piece and they said no, you can't buy one, but we will send you one. They charged me nothing, not even postage... all this for my own stupidity. Increadible customer service.... and local. They will get business from me forever (for a 2 dollar piece of plastic... someone has some good business brains).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've narrowed it down to about 4 vises, with the Peak being at the top of my list. I can't do anything more now till I can go actually try one, or at least see and touch it in person. So that's my next step.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Oyey said:
I don't own a Peak, but may some day because of the only experience I had with them... I bought a trash recepticle that fits on the post of my vice... This was made by peak and fit on my DynaKing... Well, they have instructions on how to put this thing on your post which I did not follow. I broke the plastic piece that clings to the post. I called them and asked if I could buy just that piece and they said no, you can't buy one, but we will send you one. They charged me nothing, not even postage... all this for my own stupidity. Increadible customer service.... and local. They will get business from me forever (for a 2 dollar piece of plastic... someone has some good business brains).
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts