Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a couple of free hours this evening and headed out to Pella Crossing (Dragonfly pond). This trip was more to get my float tube out on some of the western ponds and tinker with some "add-ons" for my tube. Of course I brought some fishing rods (not doing so is like going to a gunfight without your 9mm), but figured if anything I'd just try and catch some perch. Showed up about 7pm and after playing "Monster Float Tube" and hacking on my "add-ons", I was afloat by 7:20pm.

Well, as it turns out, I underestimated my McGuyver skills, and the rod holder, transducer mount, and fish finder display mount all worked as planned and didn't require much adjustment. That said, I was left with a bit more time to actually fish.

I loaded up the ultralight with a small Krocodile spoon and just floated slowly across the pond. Dropped it down to the bottom, reeled it up about a foot, and just jigged it slowly. Caught plenty o' perch. It's really a lot of fun. The biggest was only about 9", but I'm more impressed by the smallest I got -- 3.25". Fit nicely in the palm of my hand.

Got really relaxed out there as it was a beautiful evening (see scenery shots below) and decided, what the hell, let's see if we can't catch a bass -- I had caught a few 3lb. largemouth and some small (7-9") smallmouth in here before. Tied on the trusty tube jig and let her fly. For those of you following along at home, this was the same tube jig that starred in the recent "Rocky Mt. Arsenal Big Bass and Pike Show". Anyhow, about 5 casts in I'm working this thing in about 14' of water, parallel to the shore, and I see the line twitch and then take off like a Peter Forsberg slap shot. I set the hook and it feels like I've snagged somebody's old stationwagon -- hell yeah! This thing ran right, ran left, pulled ridiculously hard, took me for a full 360 around the float tube, and just kept on fighting. I look over and see that the rod with the spoon is now dancing about too and there's a small perch on the end of it! I felt like Jimmy Houston!

After the best 3 minute fight from a fish I've had in a loooong time, I finally got some eyes on the prize -- a 19" smallmouth. I was floored, I'd never caught one much above about 1lb., but this thing was every bit of 4lbs (probably more, but I didn't have my digital scale contratption with me). I could not get over how thick this fish was across the mddle. What a beautiful fish -- the colors on a smallmouth in clear water are incredible.

Here he is:
[/center]

Here are a couple of scenery pics -- the large peak in each photo is Long's Peak.
[center][img]http://www.geocities.com/scottdog900/fish/IMG_0104s.JPG​

This spring I've absolutely torn up the bass on a tube jig. I'm putting together a post that will share some lessons I've learned this spring while fishing this -- should save some people some heartache and a lot of missed fish (I've lost count of the number of fish I did NOT land on this lure) -- nothing revolutionary, but will definitely make sure you get your hands on the ones that bite.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
scottdog900 said:
I'm putting together a post that will share some lessons I've learned this spring while fishing this -- should save some people some heartache and a lot of missed fish (I've lost count of the number of fish I did NOT land on this lure) -- nothing revolutionary, but will definitely make sure you get your hands on the ones that bite.

Ill be looking forward to this post.

-Jay

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Scottdog --- again.. Mad props! Can't wait for your Spring Bass/Tube report.

Catfishking --- Yeah he caught it across the street. Dragonfly (1st fishable pond across street {after the private pond}. Carefull if you go earlier though. They're redoing the road. Traffic is real slow.

I was there from 5 - 6. (Sunset Pond) I was teaching my wife to use a fly and bobble.  :D She almost put one ten feet up in a tree. Pretty good action on the bluegills.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts