Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the spinning rod and hit Pella this morning, hoping to catch a big perch. I hit the back ponds armed with 6lb test and a box of small jigs, along with various other small-fish type tackle. Lots of bluegills sitting on sandy areas ready to spawn---also lots of bass too, either hanging out near the bluegills hoping for a chance at dinner or hugging the shoreline. I fished for awhile and managed to catch some small perch on jigs--nothing big, perhaps the largest being 8 inches or so. i talked to an older gentleman bass fishing for awhile, and then proceeded to watch him catch two jumbo sized perch on a 5 inch tube jig. i switched to a larger paddle jig in chartruese and then caught a few more perch, but none as big as the ones he hooked up with. After getting tired of that i walked down the shore looking at fish. Saw a big channel cat slowly cruise by in about 4 feet of water, i cast at him in hopes of hooking him but a small bass hit my lure before the catfish could notice. i then headed across the road and walked the shoreline looking at the largemouths sitting on beds. some let you get right next to them, they were so intent on guarding nests that they didnt want to move. I saw a larger perch doing something weird---it would swim along and stop every few feet and go head first into the weeds, then come back up, chomping on something it picked up that i couldnt see---fun to watch, it did this all the way down the shoreline. i like watching the bass do thier thing, especially with a whole school of bluegills trying to invade thier nest--they get aggressive. i regretted not bringing my camera, perhaps next week ill go out there and take some photos with a polarized lens. im not much of a bass fisherman, but i like seeing the big ones in the water like that.

walking the shore farther i got to an area of more rocks and saw a few smallmouths...nothing big, but i havnt seen too many there before so that was a cool thing to see. they looked darker and almost crappie shaped compared to the largemouths. i saw a larger one cruising down the shore and hap hazardly threw my paddle jig at him...he came over to look at it just as i managed to hook a rock. As i gave him up for lost he nailed the jig while it was stuck to the rock---and i hooked him. talk about lucky. thats my first colorado smallmouth, it was about 2 or 3 lbs...made my trip, but i was angry at myself once again for not bringing the camera....

well thats it. theres lots of fish in clear water, so bring your polarized glasses. if you choose to fish for bass on thier beds (i dont really like to do it, but its your business and legal), just try get them back in the water as quick as you can and close to where you found them...so they go back....

·
Registered
41 Posts
What a neat, lovely day! Thanks for telling about it in such detail. I spend a lot of time at Pella bugging bluegill and picking on perch -- someday I will try to ctach bass, but not until after the spawn is done. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Sounds like good fishing. I'm happy you faired much better than you did catfishing, good job

·
Registered
159 Posts
hit up pella today also, caught about a 20in sm, then a few more small sm, and then a 20+in catfish which i had at the shore before it broke my line, i was using four pound and had 3 more fish snap my line, including one that was HUGE! anyways only fished for about an hour and a half so alot of action, then hit up Coot and caught a 15in lm, all in all a good day of fishin, next day will bring some heavier line.

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Now that is an awesome report...I almost felt like I was there instead of being couped up at work with my computer...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Nice way to end a day Rottal.

I've never been to Pella, but the posts I read, of the fish that come out of this lake and the variety, makes me think of a lake in the land of "Perfect."

What's the history behind this lake and why is it such an awesome sounding lake?

Pete

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Rob --- What were you using (lure) !?!?  I got one bluegill tonight at Big Thompson. I'm not bothering to right a report.  :-[  I only had a half hour though. :( 

·
Registered
214 Posts
Pete said:
Nice way to end a day Rottal.

I've never been to Pella, but the posts I read, of the fish that come out of this lake and the variety, makes me think of a lake in the land of "Perfect."

What's the history behind this lake and why is it such an awesome sounding lake?

Pete   
I went out to this place over the weekend....very nice lakes....lots of bass, bluegills, and perch....not sure of the history of this lake but it's a very nice place!....check it out!!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Red Sox Rock said:
Where is Pella? Thanx. Alex
This is taken from another post:

james said:
Jay --- They are in the town of Hygeine. If you get off 1-25 at I believe the Lyons (RMNP) exit, it's after the Longmont exit (if ur leaving Denver). It will be highway 66. There will be a light, and a sign that says Hygiene, before you get to Lyons on ur left.You turn there. After driving through the very small town. You cross some tracks. 2 of the ponds are to ur right then, and there are 3 more w/ a parking lot (Pella's Crossing) a little farther on ur left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts