Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
crappie fishing great caught over 20 on crappie!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not bad.

The bass fishing seems to be picking up -- sort of, anyway -- I hit Heron Pond with a friend, on a Jon Boat, Saturday and Sunday. Saturday, in cloudy and windy conditions, we did really well -- two and a half hours, five bass for me and two for him; all were over 15 inches (measured them all). They were hitting everything we threw, but deep-diving crankbaits retrieved just above the weeds were the best producer.

Sunday it was a completely different story -- sunny and hot, no wind or clouds. ... and no bass. We fished Heron for about 3 hours and threw just about everything but couldn't get a bite. The lake had plenty of fishermen (compared to Saturday when almost no one was there), and no one seemed to be doing well on the bass.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What were you using? Bait, lures, flies? I've been looking for a place to catch some panfish/bass on a fly rod. Do you think Pella is a good place for that?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks. I think I would prefer the fly rod or spinning rod anyway. Are these ponds fairly well used/busy? I'm still new to the area and am still trying to feel it out.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Pella is near Longmont -- take HWY 66 west from I-25, just past Longmont, to the town of Hygiene. Take N. 75th Street South and the ponds are just east of N. 75th, one mile south of Hygiene.

The ponds are catch-and-release for bass and are artificial flies and lures only, with scented/salt flies and lures prohibited (which, if you're like me, means buying a whole new assortment of soft plastics).

Here's the park's site:
http://www.co.boulder.co.us/openspace/recreating/public_parks/pella_cross.htm

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
BIG KUHUNA said:
small prince nyphs and panfish poppers!
Hmmm... I fly fish as well as I know how to ice skate. In other words, I just don't know how to do it. Well, anyways.... Kudos to the report, glad you had a good time!!

1eyeReD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts