Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Pella with the goal of catching some perch on a flyrod. ive caught a few in the past while fishing for bass, but never really targeted them before. i got there around 4:30 and hit Dragonfly pond. i looked around for a bit and saw plenty of bluegill...fished to them for about half an hour and managed to catch a handfull on flies, but only saw a few small perch chasing my fly on my retrieve. i moved around the lake and looked in Prospect Pond, and finally located about half a dozen perch in the 10 inch range hugging a piece of brush in about 3 feet of water. when i say "hugging", i mean they were pretty much buried in it. i cast to the them for a bit, but they spooked easy and i had to blind cast for awhile to deeper water before i got a take--which i quickly managed to lose. i repeated that hook up/lose scenerio several more times then moved all the way around the pond and fished the deeper sections of the rocky areas---with no takes. i finally went back to the brush where i saw the first ones, and after much changing of flies and casting i hooked one solid and got it in. it was a whopping 6 inches, but i met my goal of catching a perch on a fly today. to be truthful a spinning rod would have most likely been a better option, i was having trouble getting the action the fish wanted with a fly that close to the shore...a small jig under a float would have worked wonders im sure. anyways, it was a nice evening, warm, light breeze, and plenty of sunshine. beats sitting under flourecent lights at work.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was at Pella yuesterday afternoon and also this morning. Took my little granddaughter yesterday; we caught ten apiece, mostly tiny bluegill but three very nice perch. This morning, I hauled in another 25 or so bluegill and again exactly three good perch. I was casting way out, straight from shore, in Webster pond (just to the east of parking) by the covered table, with a bubble and #12 wet mosquito. Very slow retrieve. Constant nibbles, and hooked about one in three casts. Much fun. My granddaughter is now solidly in favor of bubble-n-fly!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.