Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Pella with the goal of catching some perch on a flyrod. ive caught a few in the past while fishing for bass, but never really targeted them before. i got there around 4:30 and hit Dragonfly pond. i looked around for a bit and saw plenty of bluegill...fished to them for about half an hour and managed to catch a handfull on flies, but only saw a few small perch chasing my fly on my retrieve. i moved around the lake and looked in Prospect Pond, and finally located about half a dozen perch in the 10 inch range hugging a piece of brush in about 3 feet of water. when i say "hugging", i mean they were pretty much buried in it. i cast to the them for a bit, but they spooked easy and i had to blind cast for awhile to deeper water before i got a take--which i quickly managed to lose. i repeated that hook up/lose scenerio several more times then moved all the way around the pond and fished the deeper sections of the rocky areas---with no takes. i finally went back to the brush where i saw the first ones, and after much changing of flies and casting i hooked one solid and got it in. it was a whopping 6 inches, but i met my goal of catching a perch on a fly today. to be truthful a spinning rod would have most likely been a better option, i was having trouble getting the action the fish wanted with a fly that close to the shore...a small jig under a float would have worked wonders im sure. anyways, it was a nice evening, warm, light breeze, and plenty of sunshine. beats sitting under flourecent lights at work.....

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Well........ You met your goal! High five -->> (Clap!)

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
fished pella and caught one bass on yamamato kreature, and caught 10 bluegill on fly, lots of big bass around the shoreline, most of the bass are to caught up with the spawn and wouldent even hit anything

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was at Pella yuesterday afternoon and also this morning. Took my little granddaughter yesterday; we caught ten apiece, mostly tiny bluegill but three very nice perch. This morning, I hauled in another 25 or so bluegill and again exactly three good perch. I was casting way out, straight from shore, in Webster pond (just to the east of parking) by the covered table, with a bubble and #12 wet mosquito. Very slow retrieve. Constant nibbles, and hooked about one in three casts. Much fun. My granddaughter is now solidly in favor of bubble-n-fly!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts