Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big fish, little fish swimmin in the water...

just a normal school of panfish at Pella Crossing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Can't wait to fish there again. Would have been today, had it not been for the weather. Rottal --- what flys do you use there? I just attempted my fly rod there Friday, and caught a few bluegills off a Scud fly. Also, if you would, could you recomend a fly to use Saturday at Aurora for trout? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bluegills at Pella will pretty much hit anything as long as the action is right...i usually catch them on small wooley buggers with rubber legs (size 10s) or a size 10 bead head prince. those are easy to tie, and they last a long time. on top try a popper with rubber legs, or a hopper. however, those are just my choices, im sure any fly would work.

as far as aurora...ive never fished it, so i could only give you a general idea. in lakes and reservoirs when i want to locate fish i usually start off with a streamer...usually a black tungsten bead wooley bugger, size 8. i fish it at various depths and speeds, and key in on areas with cover and drop offs. work it fairly agressively, make it look like a baitfish. if it is weedy a slow retrieve with a callibaetis pattern (try just a normal size 14 dark hare's ear nymph) usually picks up fish. those two flies are my top producers in still water.

as far as dries...i dont know for sure. bring along your basic midge patterns, and also size 14 and smaller griffiths gnats and also a selection of adams, size 12-18...those should cover most of what you see on the surface this time of year. my advice is to start off with a streamer though....you might catch anything.

anyone else out there have any advice for a guy flyfishing aurora res?

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Rottal --- Thanks, I really appreciate the tips.

Jay --- They are in the town of Hygeine. If you get off 1-25 at I believe the Lyons (RMNP) exit, it's after the Longmont exit (if ur leaving Denver). It will be highway 66. There will be a light, and a sign that says Hygiene, before you get to Lyons on ur left.You turn there. After driving through the very small town. You cross some tracks. 2 of the ponds are to ur right then, and there are 3 more w/ a parking lot (Pella's Crossing) a little farther on ur left.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
North on I-25, the exit you want to take is to Lyons, which is HWY 66 i believe. you will first pass the HWY 52 exit, and then the 119 exit, and then shortly after you will come to 66. head west on 66, its cuts across the north edge of longmont, across 287, and continues to head west. the intersection you are looking for has a small out of the way resteraunt on the north east corner, called the Prague i believe...anyways head south there (or turn left) and you will get to Hygiene. smallish place, one gas station. once you cross 287 in longmont its only 5 or 8 miles perhaps, not very far at all. check mapquest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts