Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Who fishes strictly for the sport of catch and release, and those that fish to eat, and thoose that

• strictly catch and release

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • fish to eat

• those that fish for fun and to eat

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a poll because we seem to have alot of people on here, Mostly fly fishermen "which I also participate in" bash the fishermen that don't catch and release. I'm trying to figure out what the ratio is between the fly fishermen that actually fish and eat!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I am going to weigh in with a well reasoned and insightful perspective. ::)

Killing big fish is stupid. They do not taste as good as smaller fish. They have proven genetics; the removal of which will have a demonstrably negative impact on the fishery. They are more fun to catch, because they are (as a rule) more powerful. They are also rare. Please do not kill a big fish just to puff out your chest. Carry a camera! Carry a scale!

Knee jerk reactionaries that propose 100% C&R at all times in all situations have about as much logic behind their position as PETA does in releasing captive bread mink.

Keep some fish. Not more than your share, and not trophy class specimens. Keep panfish, like crappie, bluegill, yellow perch. Same with brookies, and pike. These guys blow up in numbers so it is no big deal. I don't even mind someone eating bass, as long as they can fit whole into a pan.

Each body of water is a different equation. Do the math.

SS

·
Registered
844 Posts
Big macks, pike, eyes, bass, cats, browns, bows, cuts and even carp I suppose are better released IMO I guess that pretty much covers them all. I've got no good reason to hang a dead fish on my wall but I will eat fish almost every day if it is available. Long and short is support and preserve the resource what ever it might be within reason.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Need a "both" tab to click on. Mostly C&R here, with the ocassional eaters-rare but when I want'em I keep'em but all the bigger boys n girls go back!
I fish too long in the day to want to keep/clean/fillet a fish usually ;D

Just hate seeing the big boys kept to simply fill a guys penis envy! No matter the species....
just sayin!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
swimbait said:
I am going to weigh in with a well reasoned and insightful perspective. ::)

Killing big fish is stupid. They do not taste as good as smaller fish. They have proven genetics; the removal of which will have a demonstrably negative impact on the fishery. They are more fun to catch, because they are (as a rule) more powerful. They are also rare. Please do not kill a big fish just to puff out your chest. Carry a camera! Carry a scale!

Knee jerk reactionaries that propose 100% C&R at all times in all situations have about as much logic behind their position as PETA does in releasing captive bread mink.

Keep some fish. Not more than your share, and not trophy class specimens. Keep panfish, like crappie, bluegill, yellow perch. Same with brookies, and pike. These guys blow up in numbers so it is no big deal. I don't even mind someone eating bass, as long as they can fit whole into a pan.

Each body of water is a different equation. Do the math.

SS
I agree strongly! If I have fish at home in the freezer i will not not take any home. Another fish not mentioned that should strongly be released are the more larger Crappies for breeding purposes.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trout said:
No need for a new poll just use the search function. This topic has been covered many,many,many times.
I didn't think about searching the topic and never came to mind when starting the poll. Next time I will be sure to do that ..

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
Big macks, pike, eyes, bass, cats, browns, bows, cuts and even carp I suppose are better released IMO I guess that pretty much covers them all. I've got no good reason to hang a dead fish on my wall but I will eat fish almost every day if it is available. Long and short is support and preserve the resource what ever it might be within reason.
I'm going to be honest! Last summer while still living in illinois When fishing, If we caught a carp we would throw it on teh bank and leave it for the coons..... The carp are way too plentyfull there and not wanted by most.. I threw one weighing almost 40lbs on teh bank... We would come back in the winter and then go coon hunting. We didn't just hunt coons for the pelts we would make coon BBQ and my buddy would feed his doggs with teh meat also.. Some ponds we would take buckets of blue gill out because they where beginning to stunn! But your talking about an entirely diff region also!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
This site isnt as bad as FX! But still bad! You have the well know Tools on here that keep fish because the spent $3 in gas to get to the lake so they think its ok to keep spawning fish buy the dozen!! The Fish Trophy fish get to be that way becuase of the C&R guys! Dont mind when people keep 1-2 fish around the slot limit min size but when you have these Joe Dirt looking fools that move here from out of state and keep 5lb smallies because when they lived in Tx we did it all the time! They dont understand how long it takes for a Bass to grow that size on our small bodies of water! To eat or get mounted! Its that Stupid MA Program!! That crap needs to go away! Its for people with small packages! O0 Some of the guys need a 10" Swimbait to the side of the head! >:D Look at all the pigs that come out of Cali!! Becuause of the regs! Wish the DOW would change the keeper size for Bass to 10"-15" 3 fish! Anyway! East Brookies they taste great ask any Bass!

W

·
0 Posts
I'm hard-pressed to release any fish that is good breaded and fried, i.e. perch, walleye, catfish, pike, maybe even a bass. I have a hoss brown trout on the wall from WY back in the day that, in retrospect, I wish I would have let go. I let the big ones go nowdays.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Totally,

I new alot about Catch and release, But only the species that where scarce in my home state but still more plenty full then here. Here in the state of Colorado is taken more serious and I understand the reasons why people address the issue so aggressively!

I whent to Wolford and caught a few fish and all perfect eating size and I released almost all except for one that my partner wanted for dinner! My whole point is that every time some one see's a fish that doesn't appear that it's going to be released they go ape crap and automatically assume that it has to be thrown back! Personally I would throw a tropfy back if caught. But if I don't have any in the fridge thats my rite to take a couple home! I have never mounted a fish and my future x wife wouldn't even let me hang one in the garage.

I would also like to stress the fact that my father is a native of Colorado living in Swink and my grandfather is a native of Colorado also residing in Pueblo.... Both Anglers there whole life and my grandfather is 94 and stopped 4 yrs ago when he slipped on a rock while fly fishing. I understand the ediquate and morals Of Fishing..

Ben Laird

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
HOGMASTER said:
This site isnt as bad as FX! But still bad! You have the well know Tools on here that keep fish because the spent $3 in gas to get to the lake so they think its ok to keep spawning fish buy the dozen!! The Fish Trophy fish get to be that way becuase of the C&R guys! Dont mind when people keep 1-2 fish around the slot limit min size but when you have these Joe Dirt looking fools that move here from out of state and keep 5lb smallies because when they lived in Tx we did it all the time! They dont understand how long it takes for a Bass to grow that size on our small bodies of water! To eat or get mounted! Its that Stupid MA Program!! That crap needs to go away! Its for people with small packages! O0 Some of the guys need a 10" Swimbait to the side of the head! >:D Look at all the pigs that come out of Cali!! Becuause of the regs! Wish the DOW would change the keeper size for Bass to 10"-15" 3 fish! Anyway! East Brookies they taste great ask any Bass!
"Joe Dirt looking fools'' ha ha You hit that on the head. ;D ;D

The MA program is fine. They just need to make it 100% C&R to quit promoting the take of trophy fish. There is a category for catch and kill ego-stoking. It is called a "state record" ::) I know a bunch of anglers that would ALL be the "master-anglerist" master anglers in the history of Colorado master-anglerdom if they turned in all the big fish that they catch. Hell, I even get a few here and there. ;)

The whole idea is ridiculous. OK, some "Joe Dirt fool" goes out and gets a big fish because all their lucky stars lined up. How exactly does that make Joe a --master angler--? Give me a break. ???

I have killed more than my share of fish. I am from Texas as well, and I grew up cajun french on the Texas/Louisiana Gulf coast. Cajun people are 100% fish killers, and I was no exception. I recall in the early days of Ray Roberts keeping 400 crappie, including a pile of three pounders. Catching enough white bass in the Trinity River to almost swamp our boat. But I was a kid... I grew up.

Texas has a LOT of water, and the TPW does as much if not more for freshwater fisheries than any other state agency. Texas is a lot of things, but short on fish aint one of those things.

We just do not have the water or the fish (especially big fish) to support those Joe Dirt fools here.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
swimbait said:
HOGMASTER said:
"Joe Dirt looking fools'' ha ha You hit that on the head. ;D ;D

The MA program is fine. They just need to make it 100% C&R to quit promoting the take of trophy fish. There is a category for catch and kill ego-stoking. It is called a "state record" ::) I know a bunch of anglers that would ALL be the "master-anglerist" master anglers in the history of Colorado master-anglerdom if they turned in all the big fish that they catch. Hell, I even get a few here and there. ;)

The whole idea is ridiculous. OK, some "Joe Dirt fool" goes out and gets a big fish because all their lucky stars lined up. How exactly does that make Joe a --master angler--? Give me a break. ???

I have killed more than my share of fish. I am from Texas as well, and I grew up cajun french on the Texas/Louisiana Gulf coast. Cajun people are 100% fish killers, and I was no exception. I recall in the early days of Ray Roberts keeping 400 crappie, including a pile of three pounders. Catching enough white bass in the Trinity River to almost swamp our boat. But I was a kid... I grew up.

Texas has a LOT of water, and the TPW does as much if not more for freshwater fisheries than any other state agency. Texas is a lot of things, but short on fish aint one of those things.

We just do not have the water or the fish (especially big fish) to support those Joe Dirt fools here.
Agreed! I used to fish holbrook lake in in south east colorado and the arkansas. Now both the lake and river look like sand pits! Thanks to denver metroand the ever increasing resevoirs in the mountains and front range! Sad, very sad.

·
Registered
440 Posts
swimbait said:
I think you could sum it up this way:

C&R guys = crybabys

C&K guys = butt-heads

Discuss. >:D
This is one of the more sensible assessments of the distinction.

For some people, being a flawed human being is so big a deal, that they may as well reverse the process, and as a fisherman, throw themselves into the water to be fish food themselves, because that would be a "noble" thing to to, for an elitest action. I prefer not to be that elitest. I'd rather be a happy "Butthead".

I do not "kill" all that I catch, but if anyone wants to make something out of why I fish,
they can pass state legistlation that requires by law that I tell you WHY I fish.
It's nobody's business..

What we have going on in USA in 21st Century, is a movement that says, basically, that Fish are the "King's Deer" and only an Aristocracy should have them..

In the end, that kind of elitism is saying you can fish, but only with a Politically Correct attitude. It is basically an infringement upon the freedom to enjoy the resources of the land, which are a legal right.

Swimbait, Next time I agree with you, I'd appreciate it if you would get out your Checkbook.

. ;D

1 - 20 of 60 Posts