Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the info below from the Colorado State Park Website/conditions. I wasnt aware people actually caught Bluegill or Yellow Perch at Chatfield. Does anyone here fish for them there? Any luck? Where would they be? For some reason I feel like they could be by the Tree Stumps that stick out in the No Wake zone up by the River or possibly by the Handycap Pier where they sunk the Xmass Trees? Ideas?

Rainbows are being caught at Roxborough Cove and the face of the dam. Walleye are still slow. Yellow Perch and Bluegill are being caught on worms. Water temperature is in the 50's.

M

·
0 Posts
welcome to the site man,

most of my chatfield fishing of late has been in the gravel and dog ponds, but i have caught bluegill in the main alke from the handicap pier, nothing big, but there are some in there, i caught a yellow perch in the dog ponds, only one, and im guessing it somehow came from the main lake, i honestly dont know how the fish get in the dogs ponds, but there is a lot of variety in there, it has slowed way down, not reccomending it right now

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I have caught bluegills in deeper water any where from the bottom at 24 feet to suspended any where in the column. The oonly other place I have caught blue gills are at the ponds and along the shore in the king fisher area.

The rare perch I have caught have been near the bottom. in about 10 feet of water.

The Xmas trees you mention near the handicap dock are mostly gone . little more than stumps to catch lures on. The old heron rookery is productive at times but there are lots of snags to be had there also. Becare with a boat lots of unmarked hazards in that area.

Dan

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I think the Walleye's have done a good job in thinning the Perch?

There was about a five year period up at Glendo during the drought that perch were almost nonexistant. Now the last two years they have gotten off such huge spawns that even the Walleye's can't knock down their numbers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts