Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a source to get perch eyes?  They are the best winter bait for perch (cannibilistic little buggers) and I am hoping to get a bunch before ice upl

Dan

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
You gotta be kidding. This is an available commodity? Sounds more like a medical condition to me. I can just hear the doctor now. "Mr. Walking Eagle, you have a bad case of perch eyes. In addition, we suspect you might have crab legs, and wagon tongue. And possibly a case of Grape-Nuts." LOL!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Dan, the best way to get them now if you hadnt been saving them all summer is to wait for the ice get into a mess of perch and keep them from that group. If you and a couple buddies hit up blue mesa there is no bag limit on perch. Maybe a trip to blue mesa before the weather and ice come on would be a good trip.
I dont know of any place that sells them.

M

·
0 Posts
dont know, but i think that takes the cake for the weirdest question asked on the forum

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mustang said:
dont know, but i think that takes the cake for the weirdest question asked on the forum
Actually Mustang fishing with perch eyes is a fairly common technique in the upper midwest where ice fishing for perch is a vocation not a sideline.  :)

But maybe we should start a thread to see what the weirdest question is.

Dan

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
We've never really froze or kept them, just used the ones from the 1st fish. Do they freeze well? If they do, that's a bummer, cus I cleand about 100 of them this summer, never even thought of keeping the eyes.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you freeze a few in each baggie so you only thaw what you need they tend tokeep ok. Its the constant freezing and thawing that make them mushy.

Dan

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Dan,

All you need is one ;D , when you catch your first perch, then you have two, after you catch your second perch and you re-bait you will still have 2 extra perch eyes.

I have been known to charge friends who don't have a perch eye ridiculous sums of money for that first perch eye.

Ter

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TAL0362 said:
Dan,

All you need is one ;D , when you catch your first perch, then you have two, after you catch your second perch and you re-bait you will still have 2 extra perch eyes.

I have been known to charge friends who don't have a perch eye ridiculous sums of money for that first perch eye.

Ter

Great, I can see it now, "Hey terre got any perch eyes?" "Sure Dan, how much money you got?"

Dan

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Does that mean Dan would have to PERCHase them from T?

Man that is bad...

My walnut sized orb (brain) froze today fishing...

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Dan said:
Don't even bother, you have found it.

What would I use for big pike? Sheep eyes?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe "eyeguy" could help me? He is probably watching all of this from his own "perch".

Dan

·
Registered
578 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
You gotta be kidding.  This is an available commodity?  Sounds more like a medical condition to me.  I can just hear the doctor now.  "Mr. Walking Eagle, you have a bad case of perch eyes.  In addition, we suspect you might have crab legs, and wagon tongue.  And possibly a case of Grape-Nuts."  LOL!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: What a terrible condition!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
405 Posts
It's a good thing we don't have any PETA members on this board, or Dan could become enemy number 1.

Dan, have you ever tried the artificial eyes or is the original eye "odur" a requirement?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Never tried the artificial ones. I have never seen any I suppose you can by them in minnesota and wisconsin.

i am going to try to getmy own supply tomorrow. My oldest son and i are heading to Aurora in he am. Hopefully we will have as much luck as Jay did the other day.

Dan

·
Registered
217 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
Dan said:
Don't even bother, you have found it.

What would I use for big pike?  Sheep eyes?

Nope. Plain old Hot Dogs are the best bait for big Northerns! About one half of a hot dog is all you need.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts