Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the article in the Sunday paper on Perch, I'm curious on how & what other fishermen use to catch them. I'm also interested in what you do after catching them & some recipes. Ron

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Its in the back of the sports section in today's Post. Worms or small tubes tipped with a piece of worm or other grub seem to work. I fillet them, dip them in flour, then egg whites, then season and roll in Kellogs corn flake crumbs, the kind used for baking. Then fry in really hot olive oil. Crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
ron go to the fishing report for sat the 22nd and look at the post for boyd lake. the perch in colorado are a lot smaller than the jumbo perch i caught in lake erie as a kid, but taste equally as good.in ohio we used nothing but minnows but as i found out sat worms work just as well if not better here in col.as far as cooking im with kastmister on the cooking technique. fried this way they taste equally as good as walleye. good luck

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
After fishing some bodies of water last year that hold perch, i noticed that they can be caught on almost anything....i saw alot caught on stuff that most guys normally fish for bass with. (mainly big tube jigs...3 or 4 inches long even) I was targeting them with flies, but didnt have near the luck that other guys were having fishing with plastics.

If i was chasing them though, bait would be a good option...minnows mainly. small jigs would also be a good choice, fished near the bottom on ultra light gear.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I like to slab spoons for walleye and I have found that if you can get over Perch in a boat or float tube, they love a small spoon. Try slabbing small Kastmasters, Buckshot Rattle spoons and any other small spoon you would use if you were ice fishing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I take it from the article in the paper that you can pretty much take all you can catch at Blue Mesa, and I love to eat a good fish dinner. I prefer the meals to start on the bank 1st, then onto home.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Here is the article he read.
http://www.denverpost.com/rec/ci_3739758

Ive always used worms and minnows to catch perch... Small crappie jigs work well too, panter martins, and rooster tails as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts