Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time out fishing in 2011 for me. Had to take some time off after the birth of our fifth child, work, taking care of baby duties, etc. Well, I had been really feeling the urge to get out on the water, and finally had a day off work and the wife's approval to go fishing (thanks, hun - love ya!). So, took my friend Ron to the Ark in Pueblo, his first time ever there, my third time there. Gorgeous weather for sure, and although we only had one bite all day, that one bite made it all worth it. The spot is going to be easy to recognize to those who know the area (sorry the photos didn't hide it). As soon as I hooked this fish, I knew it was going to be a fine one. When I saw it, I knew immediately that it was my biggest ever trout. I couldn't believe the bright red colors I saw flashing in the water. Ron saw me get hooked up, so he ran over to where I was to help out and I'm glad he did. I don't know if I would have been able to net it by myself, plus he snapped some quick pics which I appreciated. The fish put up a great fight, sinking back to depths and running several times. After a couple of minutes I was able to pull this hearty fish up and over, where Ron was waiting with the net. Once it was netted I realized that I was shaking with excitement from this awesome fish! It measured at an even 24 inches and although I didn't weigh the fish, it was very fat and I would estimate 5-6 lbs. Another thing that stood out about this fish were its hook jaw and huge teeth, a true beast and my best trout to date. Thanks again to Ron for helping me out. Oh, the fish was caught on my Ross Essence 9 ft, 5/6 wt rod and reel. 5x tippet material and a brown leech pattern. Hope you all enjoy these pics (all of the same fish).

Here's a pic of the fight:

Check out the chompers:

Me joyously holding my prize catch:

A pic of the thick, beautifully colored fish:

Here are pics of the release - the fish swam away strongly:

We are blessed with some amazing fishing opportunities year round in our state.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Wow :eek: :eek: :eek: who'da thunk it below Pueblo...congrats on the PB!...

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the nice comments. It was caught in the new regulation strecth of the Ark. Too bad the release of all 16"+ fish doesn't apply all the way to the dam. Earlier in the day, there was a guy using bait to catch his limit just on the other side of the bridge (where that is legal). That was one fish I will remember for quite some time. I did not want to lose it.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Beauty for sure!!

D.J.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When I first saw the fish I was thinking... Arkansas? That looks like a Taylor fish!

Awesome job. And congrats even more on landing that thing on 5x with all those teeth. Nice catch, nice release. :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts