Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new personal best walleye last night, before you scroll down and see the pics please realise I'm not a seasoned walleye fisherman by any means. I grew up fishin' for slimmers {trout} and I've been fishin' for green carp {bass} for about seven years now, thanks to James. Bass fishing is my most loved type of fishing, and has really been the "gateway fish" :D I think for James and I both...one day you're bass fishing, next day it's northern pikes, soon you're pawning your grandmas jewelry to buy muskies lures...JK ;). Anyway I only got into walleye fishin' the year before last and landed my first walleye around Halloween of that year. I want to thank CF members for their post of walleyes which cultivated my interest, there's to many to list here but in particular I'd like to say thanks to Mark {Zman} Jeremy {Solesearcher} and Chris {Fishdr} who really helped me understand tactics, locations, and behavior of these fish. Thanks a lot guys! 8). So as for last night, it was kind of a crazy night. Got out in search of the eyes at a new location, it was a windy night. Very windy, which I know walleyes tend to like some wind so that seemed like a good thing. I started working a rocky shore line with the wind blowing into shore, this should be a good spot because the wind will be pushing pray fish into the area I'm thinking. In the moon light with the huge waves and darkness across the lake I could easily imagine I was fishing in the ocean some where. I got into a rhythm working my jerkbait and kind of zoned out. This is one of the things I most enjoy about fishing jerkbaits at night; once I get into fishing my mind starts to wander a little bit but never too far, hopefully anyway, really it's very meditative for me fishing this way. Did I mention I had the whole lake to myself, at least as far as I could tell. And it's a big lake {for Colorado} it seemed even bigger than it was in the dark. So I worked this area walking fifty feet over here and there for a little over an hour. No action so I decided I'd try an other area. I drove to the other side of the lake, the weird thing was when I got there the wind was blowing into shore on that side too ??? I'm not sure if it changed direction while I was driving or if I really hadn't made it to the other side as it seemed. It was a longer walk from the car in this area on some more treacherous ground to get to the lake. I got to the shore and started casting. I fanned out a series of casts at each spot, then moved on. A couple more hours went by and I had covered a lot of ground, and water, still no action. It was around then with 2AM approaching fast when I started questioning myself; I've been seeing metro area walleyes posted but maybe this lake is still I little cold for 'em I thinking. A lot of factors could effect water temp, water depth, over all size of the lake ex. and this was a large and deep lake, maybe it's still a little bit cold for 'em. The spray for the waves sure felt cold! Maybe these walleyes are not in prespawn mode yet. Ah, you can catch walleyes through the ice I tell myself to keep motivated. But in any case it was getting late and I knew it would be time to hit the road soon. I also had wandered about 3/4 of a mile from my car to this point and had a little walk back when I left. It was right about then when I get my first hit of the night. A good bite and good weight on the line, ah this is a good fish I'm thinking as I haul it in, and sure enough it was {for me anyway}. Now here's where it gets crazy. I get a pic by my rod then set up my camera on it's tripod and get shot holding the fish. So the camera I'm using here is my new Olympus stylus tough, it's water prooph to 10 feet and shockprooph to a 5 foot fall, which a good thing or it would have dieded last night! The camera and tripod were a b-day present from my wife this year and she really did pick out a good set up! Thanks Jenn ;D. Ok so I got the two pics and I was going to get one more of the release. I had the fish in the net in my left hand and I picked up the camera in my right hand. I grabbed it by the tripod which I thought it was snapped into...it was not, as I approached the water the camera fell off the tripod, bounced off the rocks, and into the water it went. This area was a rip rap with a steep drop off, and it was getting rocked with waves. Time slowed as I watched the illuminated screen sinking down into the water and being pulled out into the deeper water by the rebound of the waves. Instantly I jumped in after it...my right arm reaching I just barely felt my finger tips make contact which the devise before it sank into the abyss. Wow was that cold! I climbed out and some how still had the walleye in the net. I released it and noticed I had lost the tripod totally, oh well at least I had the camera..I looked around to see if it was in the rocks some where and to my surprise saw it floating on the waves {I didn't know it floated} I was already soaked so I waded in a grabbed it. Soaked, cold and ecstatically happy I started walking back to my car. It started raining about the time I got on the road and drove off into the moon set. When I got home it looked like I'd been through the mill, one of my boots was still full of water.. What can I say it's what good fishing is made of! Tight lines everyone, thanks for reading.

Here's the fish 26"X fat, I swear she got embarrassed and sucked in her gut for this shot ;).

This shot shows the fat! ha ha.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Very nice report..very very nice Eye!! Good that you got your camera back too..

D.J.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts