Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm speechless. It's not that peta will ever go as far as to have any of there voiced opinions carried out, because to call fishing cruel would be a slap in the face of father son fishing which is one of the most American experiences. Lets all just be glad that they will never get there way accept maybe to put tougher catch and release regulations on fishing.

·
Registered
238 Posts
while I do disagree with their beliefs,,they have every right to believe them. Something is wrong when you target children though. That is too far...whether its Peta or Democrats or Republicans. These Peta people are extremist. Extremism, whether it be political, religous, or otherwise is usually not a good thing.

Just my 2 cents
Pondfisher

·
Registered
664 Posts
Extremeism has never solved anything...only created more problems.

My feeling is that PETA, Like religious cults, targets members with low self esteem who want to feel they 'belong' to something and because of this they are very suggestible and prone to 'brainwashing'

These 'brainwashed' members are so bent on trying to gain acceptance from their peer group that they can, with a straight face, launch these idiotic ad campaigns and attacks on everything.

I am normally a very calm and peaceful guy, but this kind of crap makes me want to get very violent with PETA members.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they are nothing but terrorist hiding behind a mask of "we protect animals"

what a bunch of morons, we ought cut them up and chum for sharks with them...

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dear Editor,

I think the extremism that P.E.T.A. displays shows the general public how truly outlandish they are. Fishing and hunting have enriched my life in many ways. Not only with family relationships but also my understanding and respect of nature and the outdoors. Hunting not only controls deer and elk populations for local wildlife management agencies its also gets family's together in the outdoors. Facts are hunters and fisherman do more for preserving the outdoors than anyone else. I feel sorry for any parent who has to explain to their child that this "comic book" that has been given to them is wrong. Will P.E.T.A. be passing this "comic book" out to lower income family's in which hunting provides food through out the cold winter months. People who enjoy the outdoors should be outraged by this...but I strongly doubt this "comic books" will ever make into middle class neighborhoods. P.E.T.A. is ran by over privileged rich white people with no real world problems...so they try to create conflict where the truly isn't one. Comparing catching fish to catching a dog or a cat? Come on!!! What's next are they going to wait in the Mc Donald's play area and throw fake blood on 4 year old kids enjoying a happy meal. Sounds crazy...almost as crazy as passing out comic books that depict fathers as killers. P.E.T.A. is a joke with no real agenda other than getting media attention.

Thanks for your time,
Eric A.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
guitars, I see a lot of truth in what you wrote. It is the outdoorsman who hunt and fish that tend to respect nature and all the blessings it brings more then the common joe who's life has never been enriched by hiking down majestic canyons to find total seclusion accept for the hungry rainbows that await us. Going to places like the black canyon which I fished this summer, truly gave me an apreciation for our state, the fish that inhabit the rivers, and the wildlife that surrounds these amazing places.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Guys,
I agree with everything that you say in general but there are a few specifics that need to be addressed. PETA is a fringe group and they are their own worst enemy but they have lots of money. This comic book is only one small part. Have any of you seen Pamala Andersons videos against Kenttucky Fried Chicken? She give Millions to the cause. Yes most of these ad campaings are at best false and more than likely out right lies, yet they are out there finding our children.
FG, those comics are in our middle class and lower class schools now, or right outside. My daughter goes to a middle class elementry in Wheatridge. She brought home the "Mom is a Chicken killer" comic several months ago. She got it from a mother who was standing just outside the school grounds as the kids were leaving. Luckily my daughter is smart enough to laugh at the comic. I was pi**ed however. My niece in a Ft. Collins High School (Rocky) was swayed by her favorite teacher and is now a complete vegitarian and I think PETA member. Her and I have had many heated debates during Thanksgiving dinners of all times.
Years ago hunting groups asked fishing groups to help support against the anti-hunting groups, to educate the public before the antis could get a strong foothold, because it was only a matter of time before these antis started targeting fishing too. They were told by the fisherman that these groups would be stupid to go after fishing because it was so popular and said that they would not offer their support on several issues. Months later, PETA staged a protest against the Pro Bass Tournament in the Southern states. Stupid on PETA's part? Look at them now.
John J Audaban was a hunter and fisherman: Siearra Club first started out as just a club to protect our vast open spaces and even promoted hunting and fishing. Greenpeace was first started as an orginazation to stop the "in-humane" ways of killing animals: hunting was fine with them. Look at these clubs now! And they are considered the moderate to light weight groups. The real wackos now are the ELF (Environmental Liberation Front) and the ALF (Animal Liberation Front). They think that it is okay to kill inocent people for their cause. Did any of you watch the 60 Minutes interviews on these TERRORIST groups? How would you like to be carted into the emergency room wearing camo or a fishing vest and have that Dr. work on you.
Sorry about the rant, I'm off my soap box now. I'm just asking all of you to stay alert and to never underestimate PETA or any of the other anti organizations.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PETA sucks.
And thats all I have to say about that.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I for one will never look at pamela andersons boobs again............................well at least not a lot.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problems as I see them are:
(1) PETA is very well funded;
(2) PETA has enlisted a lot of celebrities who have bought into their nonsense;
(3) Their strategy of focusing on children, concentrating on images of puppies and kitties and other baby animals, etc., is effective;
(4) Fishing and hunting are diminishing in popularity as our population becomes more urbanized;
(5) We as fishermen and hunters have not done nearly enough to recruit newbies to our passion;  and
(6) We have been wholly ineffective in justifying our sports to an increasingly more urban population.

We need to wake up.  The PETA nitwits are not going away and they are fanatical.  Don't dismiss them as simply a fringe element.  They're smart, and they're dangerous.

·
Registered
578 Posts
PETA really needs to wake up! Humans are, by physical makeup, an omnivore. That's why we have two types of teeth in our mugs!

Besides.........VEGATARIAN is just an old indian word meaning "BAD HUNTER"

·
Registered
238 Posts
Scorpion...good call on the teeth comment! I used that fact at work today when talking about this topic with a co-worker.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Human eyes are also in the front of their heads, like other predators, giving them increased depth perseption and focus. Not one the sides of thier head like prey animals, which gives them better field of vision and sense of movement.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was thinking about this more and more, and I figured something out. These moronic views of our beloved sport make me (and I'm sure some of you) so angry that I find myself saying stupid things like, "we should bomb them." Haha, of course nobody is going to bomb them, but if you think about it, if we react to strongly, we are just as idiotic as them. The best thing we can do is ignore them and they can go play with themselves and be happy to eat organic wheat grass and all the little organisms crawling on it that OBVIOUSLY have feelings if fish do. They are hypocrites and I hate them, but I'm just going to ignore them from now on.

As far as celebrities backing the cause FG, who cares? Celebrities will do anything for attention, and if that's how they wanna spend their money, let them. Common, half of them believe our bodies were abducted by aliens a few millions years ago or something. IDIOTS, END OF STORY. I do like Top Gun, though. ;D

PETA: People who suck and have a blood squirting fetish.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Take a PETA member fishing with you, maybe being out doors will relieve their stress.

No fair using them for bait, though.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Reading this thread reminded me of a story...

On a tour of Alaska, the Pope took a couple of days off to visit the mountains for some sight-seeing. He was cruising along the scenic rural roads in the Pope-mobile when there was a frantic commotion just at the edge of the woods.
A helpless tree-hugging Democrat, wearing sandals, shorts, a "Save the Whales" / "Bush Lied" T-shirt was struggling frantically, thrashing about trying to free himself from the jaws of a ten foot grizzly bear.
As the Pope watched horrified, a group of Republican loggers came racing up. One quickly fired a .44 magnum into the bear's chest. The other two reached up and pulled the bleeding semiconscious Democrat from the bear's mouth and paws. Then, using long clubs, the three loggers beat the bear to death and two of them threw it onto the bed of their truck while the other tenderly placed the injured Democrat in the back seat.
As they prepared to leave, the Pope summoned them to come over. "I give you my blessing for your brave actions!" he told them. "I had heard there was a bitter hatred between loggers and environmental activists, but now I've seen with my own eyes that this is not true."
As the Pope drove off, one of the loggers asked his buddies "Who was that guy?"
"It was the Pope." another replied, "He's in direct contact with God and has access to all of God's wisdom."
"Well," the logger said, "he may have access to all of God's wisdom, but he sure doesn't know anything about bear hunting..... By the way, how is the bait holding up....or do we need to go back to town and grab another tree-hugger?"

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hey left turn...I am a democrat and I thought that was great :)

My argument to vegeterians is that: ANIMALS EAT OTHER ANIMALS!!!!!!!!

Besides all of the things mentioned about humans (we are omnivores/ predators by design who hunt and eat other animals or anything we can get our hands on) Humans can't get all the nutrients (amino acids) they need just from plants (at least not easily). This is another biological clue that we are natural meat eaters.

As far as I know vegeterians have only been around for the last hundred years or so.

The vegans are the ones who kill me...skinny, weak and pasty. They are so unhealthy.

I want to tell them to stop breathing because each time they breathe they're killing millions of innocent bacteria...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts